COP is back baby! Read more... ×
The BIGGEST COmPetition we've ever done! Read more... ×

Sign in to follow this  
Homojénik

How to get better at English ?

Hey y'all so English is not my mother tongue. I want to get better at English and i need some advice.  

Since this is a worldwide forum, i'm asking the advice of the members living in Non-English speaking countries especially. How did you learn English ?

Help a good sis out :ravenknows:

• Upvote 2

I am mostly listening to english songs and watch many english interviews of my fav. I also watch many english videos on Youtube. 

When you are here, in an WW forum where everyone speaks english, you might learn something from the others, like I did. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, lanadel said:

Usually live somewhere in the UK for many years, you end up picking a lot up 

That's kind of impossible for now :wendy26: 

1 minute ago, lanadel said:

well practise and study the language everyday:wendy27:

I actually do by posting here :greenface: 

1 minute ago, tragicgabriel said:

By watching lots of tv shows and films in English!

Honestly it really works but i'm tired of watching movies.  I can't keep my attention on those, i always fell asleep :wendy26: 

2 minutes ago, CUZiCAN said:

I am mostly listening to english songs and watch many english interviews of my fav. I also watch many english videos on Youtube

With or without subtitles ? 

• Upvote 1

My advice is watching a lot of TV series/films in English with subtitles in your own language. That way you can connect the sentences you hear to its equivalent in your language and learn lots of new phrases and words! It's best way I think since it's entertaining and helpful at the same time.

Despite being born in Florida and living there for 13 years, English isn't my first language. Despite that, I've always been better at English than my classmates and my family and everybody else... but that's not because I was a naturally born talent or something, it's simply because I've always been interested in reading and I always wanted to learn more English words because of the thrill of knowledge.

Now of course, this is just a forum, so there's no need for you or me to go all philosophical and dive deep into English. I don't even capitalize my sentences at times and on many occasions I cba to edit grammatical mistakes. Furthermore, your English seems pretty fine to me.

I know it sounds like I'm making this about me, but what I'm trying to say is, the answer to becoming efficient at anything in this world is knowledge and practice. No one would ever become good at English without thriving to get better at it whether by studying it more, memorizing hundreds of words, or thoroughly understanding its grammar. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, badgallaura said:

your English seems pretty fine to me.

Thank you, i'm trying my best :hug: 

5 minutes ago, badgallaura said:

No one would ever become good at English without thriving to get better at it whether by studying it more, memorizing hundreds of words, or thoroughly understanding its grammar. 

Yes, i guess it's common sense. Watching movies & videos and listening songs has taught me a lot but to improve more i think i'll have to study as well from now on. 

• Upvote 2

well i am arabic 

i went to Australia for 7 years (since i was 2)

i went to learn there untill second grade 

now i am in middle school and i still only use it 

arabic is kind of a fad to me 

long story short if u wanna learn english 

u have to go outside the country ur in and go LEARN!

and read books 

just like nicki says 

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, ACT2 said:

and read books 

just like nicki says 

We love an ambassador for education

giphy.gif

As for the main topic, film and movies (or YouTube videos) seem like the best way to learn English when you aren't surrounded by it. When you hear words or sayings said multiple times in the same context, you'll be able to apply them.

Spoiler

Also, "advice" is considered to be both singular and plural. "Advices" isn't a word :) It's another one of those rules our language breaks :nickifake:

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, CUZiCAN said:

I am mostly listening to english songs and watch many english interviews of my fav. I also watch many english videos on Youtube. 

When you are here, in an WW forum where everyone speaks english, you might learn something from the others, like I did. 

This + the tv shows/movies with English subtitles. I watch a lot of them. :asmrchew2:

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, robi said:

This + the tv shows/movies with English subtitles. I watch a lot of them. :asmrchew2:

Will do :asmrchew2: 

2 minutes ago, Nicki Minaj said:

As for the main topic, film and movies (or YouTube videos) seem like the best way to learn English when you aren't surrounded by it. When you hear words or sayings said multiple times in the same context, you'll be able to apply them.

Thank you. So i really need to start watching more of those :asmrchew1: 

3 minutes ago, Nicki Minaj said:

Also, "advice" is considered to be both singular and plural. "Advices" isn't a word :) It's another one of those rules our language breaks :nickifake:

Oh wow thanks, another thing to keep in mind :)<3 (I feel like life13swift using these emoticons) 

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, Homojénik said:

I try to figure out the lyrics most of the time but i always end up checking on Genius.com  :coma3:

But sometimes the lyrics aren't even grammatically correct, so idk if that's the best way to learn... :asmrchew1:

I've learnt a lot from watching Youtubers, tv shows and movies. And reading on social media, of course. :asmrchew3:

• Upvote 3