The BIGGEST COmPetition we've ever done! Read more... ×
Move over Eurovision! COPvision is back! Read more... ×

badgallaura

Pop Stars' Vocal Ranking

I've decided to make a quick, easy-to-reach chart that ranks our generation's (and some that are just too excellent to neglect, albeit of different eras) musicians in order of their technical proficiency. All of the artists will be categorize solely by their vocal abilities. Their tone (the way their voice sounds) is NOT going to be judged as that's a subjective matter, while vocal technique is objective. Vocal ranges will take the least priority, as it's about what you can do with your voice, not how high or how low you can go. In some cases, artists' vocal range might be an issue (Justin Bieber) or a bonus (Christina Aguilera). Regardless, range's value isn't of most importance.

Keep in mind that there are some artists listed who are incapable of singing as they once did before, and some who are even dead. In these cases, I'm listing them based on their vocal prime. Furthermore, some artists may resonate or sound fuller or even more "open" than other artists, but they would rank low in the list due to their damaging technique to achieve such effects. Example: Sia, Adele.

I've made this list while taking into consideration the most popular artists, as they're the ones that rule our industry. However, there are some less impactful artists such as Lana Del Rey and Tori Kelly listed, as their fame (or marvelous voice) is big enough to be placed on this list. 

(1) Mariah Carey / Whitney Houston

(2) Beyoncé / Michael Jackson

(3) Céline Dion

(4) Kelly Clarkson

(5) P!nk

(6) Marina Diamindis

(7) Lady Gaga

(8) JoJo

(9) Tori Kelly

(10) Carrie Underwood

(11) Usher

(12) Liam Payne

(13) Christina Aguilera

(14) Ariana Grande (I know you've been waiting)

(15) Amy Lee

(16) Justin Timberlake

(17) The Weeknd

(28) Jessie J

(19) Demi Lovato

(20) Miley Cyrus

(21) Zayn Malik

(22) Bruno Mars

(23) Avril Lavgine

(24) Ed Sheeran

(25) Adele (I know.. she's mentioned at last)

(26) Sia

(27) Camila Cabello

(28) Ellie Goulding

(29) Lana Del Rey

(30) Rihanna

(31) Kesha

(32) Lorde

(33) Harry Styles

(34) Katy Perry

(35) Niall Horan

(36) Justin Bieber

(37) Louis Tomlinson

(38) Carly Rae Jepsen

(39) Taylor Swift (I bet you've been anticipating for her)

(40) Selena Gomez

(41) Britney Spears

(42) Jake Paul (Calm your panties. I only added him so queen Britney isn't last)

Finally, I'd like to point out I may have been wrong in the order of some artists, but for the most part, they're a couple rankings off their true position if they aren't where they truly belong.

If you have any questions on why an artist is ranking higher than another, feel free to ask!

I might slowly add more artists to this list as the time goes by.

If you're going to claim I don't know anything about vocals, please check this thread of vocal lessons I made myself before you make any judgement:

• Upvote 8

I don't see Kesha below Katy, Ellie or Rihanna & Christina somewhere near Beyoncé

And I know you may not include her as she's a one-European-hit-wonder (sadly) but this Swedish queen is slaying most of the list.

Madonna not even on the list got me laughing

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, CoryisaCunt said:

How is Katy above Kesha? ? 

Fixed. I was surprised myself xo.

15 minutes ago, WhosThatBoy said:

Why are you ranking Lady Gaga above Ariana Grande and Christina Aguilera? I mean, she's good but not better than those two for sure.

It's about technique. Gaga has much better technique than those two. Christina has too many troubles to begin with, this is being generous. I should bump her a bit lower.

16 minutes ago, Warrior Prince said:

I don't see Kesha below Katy, Ellie or Rihanna & Christina somewhere near Beyoncé

And I know you may not include her as she's a one-European-hit-wonder (sadly) but this Swedish queen is slaying most of the list.

Madonna not even on the list got me laughing

Fixed for Kesha.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, CUZiCAN said:

I would put Britney above Selena :greenface:

Tea.

3 minutes ago, CoryisaCunt said:

I love you ? 

thanks for for making this list! It's interesting. 

Glad you like it! The difference between Rihanna and Kesha is minimal. I might bump Kesha above Rihanna, tbh.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Caramel said:

Carrie should be a little higher imo :P

She's really good, but the 10 people above ha actually have more technique and some support even more. One of the best, really, but those above her do deserve their spots.