Sign in to follow this  
i am chiron.

#ExtremelyWickedShockinglyEvilAndVile TRAILER

Coming on the heels of the Netflix produced show Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes is the feature film (with an extremely long title) Extremely Wicked Shockingly Evil And Vile starring Zach Efron and Lily Collins. Ted Bundy was executed 30 years ago and now the notorious serial killer's life is coming to film. 

What are your thoughts on the trailer? Also, how do you feel about films that tend to obsess, romanticize, and sexualize serial killers?

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/white-male-serial-killer-obsession-problem

Spoiler

Had to tag you since we've been discussing him @Blue Sunshine

• Upvote 1

Honestly, the made for tv miniseries Serial Thriller that aired a few years ago on Investigation Discovery is still gonna stand as the superior Buddy bio film based on this trailer alone. I’m not sure that I like Zac as Bundy. Maybe he’ll prove me wrong.

As far as the film industry’s obsession with overly romanticizing and sexualizing serial killers ... I find it disturbing, but it’s accurate. Those kind of things really did happen with the likes of Bundy, Rameirez, etc. they had legit “murder groupies” who idolized them and clung to their every word/action knowing these men were monsters. So I guess what the movies are doing is no different than what was going on irl.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SweetSapphicScholar said:

Ms. Jauregui has thoughts on films that romanticize serial killers.

She makes a good point. In this day and age we are more aware of the damaging effects these types of films and the way they portray the "villain" comes across to society, so we're more in tune now to seeing this as something that is morally backwards and dangerous. Much moreso than they were in the late 70s/early 80s. 

That being said, I'm honestly surprised they'd even make this film in 2019 (I know WHY they did it this year, I'm just saying ... ), being as how blatantly the film paints Bundy to be such a gentleman and such ... despite that having been the truth. It seems a step in the wrong direction.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Blue Sunshine said:

I'm honestly surprised they'd even make this film in 2019 (I know WHY they did it this year, I'm just saying ... ), being as how blatantly the film paints Bundy to be such a gentleman and such ... despite that having been the truth. It seems a step in the wrong direction.

THIS! I mean you can go to Tumblr and any other social media platform and much like the women who worshipped Manson there are people who idolize, defend, become pen pals and even marry people convicted and incarcerated for horrible crimes (Watch Prison Wives) and it's so bizarre and problematic. There was a recent movie about Jeffrey Dahmer that portrayed him as the nerdy side kick friend and not the true Psycho he was.

I don't want to sound judgy but it's a slippery slope when we begin to sympathize and empathize with rapists, murders, etc. I don't know if I will see this movie and I prefer documentaries to film's but I would be a hypocrite if I didn't say I've watched and enjoyed movies based on serial killers like Silence of the Lambs and Monster.

Also, to this movies credit I think it's attempting to show how versatile, charming, charismatic and yet sinister he was. So many people assumed based on his looks and behavior that he couldn't possibly have killed those women (Read The Stranger Beside Me).

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SweetSapphicScholar said:

THIS! I mean you can go to Tumblr and any other social media platform and much like the women who worshipped Manson there are people who idolize, defend, become pen pals and even marry people convicted and incarcerated for horrible crimes (Watch Prison Wives) and it's so bizarre and problematic. There was a recent movie about Jeffrey Dahmer that portrayed him as the nerdy side kick friend and not the true Psycho he was.

I don't want to sound judgy but it's a slippery slope when we begin to sympathize and empathize with rapists, murders, etc. I don't know if I will see this movie and I prefer documentaries to film's but I would be a hypocrite if I didn't say I've watched and enjoyed movies based on serial killers like Silence of the Lambs and Monster.

Also, to this movies credit I think it's attempting to show how versatile, charming, charismatic and yet sinister he was. So many people assumed based on his looks and behavior that he couldn't possibly have killed those women (Read The Stranger Beside Me).

I agree, it is very problematic. It's unhealthy and extremely dangerous, the position these women put themselves in and they don't even seem to realize/care. Like, for instance, the woman who married Richard Ramirez ... she claims even now that he was such a loving and wonderful man knowing damn good and well what he did and the monster he was. That type of thinking is not normal. That is a mindset I will never understand. I also do not like films where they do things like that ... try to downplay the severity of what these killers have done. Like, don't sit there and try to sell me that this monster was a "good human being" or "it's not what you think" ... blah blah blah. I feel like those kinda of films are also damaging.

I absolutely agree with you 100%, it's a very dangerous route to open up to the public mindset. It's essentially glorifying evil and evil behavior and making it, in a way, almost acceptable. That is something we cannot have. Some people are far too impressionable to be exposed to this type of ideation.  Same here, I do more often than not forgo seeing films based on this subject matter ... but there have been a few, namely the two you mentioned, that were really great films.

That is true ... it as, at least trying to show both sides of him and to show the views that you really and truly never can tell. They say don't judge a book by it's cover ... this man is a prime example of that notion.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Minaj à Trois said:

I really don't think a TV show is going to make some one into a serial killer, that is some kind of sick thing already within a person, it isn't brought on by a TV show in my opinion

It depends ... While no it might not be the only motivating factor it is true that people who commit these type of crimes feed off the fame and notoriety that comes from it. There are thrill killers, attention seekers and many other types and some of them do want the attention which includes movies, books, documentaries, and interviews. The most prolific serial killers all wanted to address their crimes and describe in great detail what and why the did it.

When Hollywood creates content much like this movie it's concerning that it might encourage others to commit similar acts. I think it's worth addressing but this film isn't the only one to blame.

• Upvote 1

So Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile is coming to Netflix in a 9 million dollar deal.

I would encourage you to watch the Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes before the film for better context.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/zac-efron-ted-bundy-movie-goes-netflix-9m-1179630

Initially was uncertain if I would go to the theatre and see it but now that it's going to be on Netflix I know I will see it that way.

• Upvote 1

Interesting move, going straight to Netflix. That's quite a price tag they ended up putting on it. Also, crazy that Netflix outbid the likes of Lionsgate, etc for the film.

Anyway, like you said ... I'll probably watch it since it's going to go straight to streaming, just to satisfy the morbid curiosity over  the film and it's accuracy.

• Upvote 1

Official Trailer: May 3rd and in select theaters.

Thoughts?

Love it or hate it I will say Zach Efron was cast perfectly for the role from a visual perspective. But it doesn't sound like her altered his voice much which would enhance the performance.