The Return of CAL Read more... ×

Sign in to follow this  
King or Queen

Is Caution by Mariah Carey the biggest flop in recent years?

7 minutes ago, fentypark said:

lol .. you youngsters should THINK before you drag. mariah carey is a LEGEND and has NOTHING to prove anymore. She just broke a record on spotify without even lifting a finger. 

..  and you have zayn as your avi. didn't his latest album debut at #61? :lmfao:

....wow, a post of yours i agree with

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Elusive Loverboy said:

Receipts

Music Box got negative to mixed reviews universally. 

Rolling Stone: lyrically "made up entirely of pop and soul clichés" on an album "so precisely calculated to be a blockbuster that its impact is ultimately a little unnerving".

Time"perfunctory and almost passionless" 

Entertainment Weekly: David Browne found Carey's performance low on energy and her voice no longer soaring on the tracks. she "drips over them like syrup"

Los Angeles Times: Carey's pop-soul songs still lacked emotion even though she had "toned down her vocal showboating". He accused Music Box of being geared toward an adult contemporary audience that "likes its soul whitewashed and in small doses"

Village Voice: a "dud", indicating "a bad record whose details rarely merit further thought"

AllMusic: Ron Wynn deemed Music Box "partly successful" and believed it was smart of Carey to explore her vocal approach differently, but she ended up sounding "detached on several selections". With the exception "Hero" and "Dreamlover", the other songs lacked her usual "personality and intensity", according to Wynn.

Feel free to research the rest yourself instead of making random claims with no substance sis. Mariah was NEVER universally acclaimed by critics. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, King or Queen said:

Music Box got negative to mixed reviews universally. 

Rolling Stone: lyrically "made up entirely of pop and soul clichés" on an album "so precisely calculated to be a blockbuster that its impact is ultimately a little unnerving".

Time"perfunctory and almost passionless" 

Entertainment Weekly: David Browne found Carey's performance low on energy and her voice no longer soaring on the tracks. she "drips over them like syrup"

Los Angeles Times: Carey's pop-soul songs still lacked emotion even though she had "toned down her vocal showboating". He accused Music Box of being geared toward an adult contemporary audience that "likes its soul whitewashed and in small doses"

Village Voice: a "dud", indicating "a bad record whose details rarely merit further thought"

AllMusic: Ron Wynn deemed Music Box "partly successful" and believed it was smart of Carey to explore her vocal approach differently, but she ended up sounding "detached on several selections". With the exception "Hero" and "Dreamlover", the other songs lacked her usual "personality and intensity", according to Wynn.

Feel free to research the rest yourself instead of making random claims with no substance sis. Mariah was NEVER universally acclaimed by critics. 

Daydream and Butterfly were

11 minutes ago, fentypark said:

lol .. you youngsters should THINK before you drag. mariah carey is a LEGEND and has NOTHING to prove anymore. She just broke a record on spotify without even lifting a finger. 

..  and you have zayn as your avi. didn't his latest album debut at #61? :lmfao:

Amen! 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, fentypark said:

Lifting a finger ? She has been traipsing all over Europe promoting her Christmas music. Mariah works hard for the Christmas popularity, lets not be deluded. 

• Upvote 1
  • Give a Cookie 1

25 minutes ago, Elusive Loverboy said:

An arianator defending Mariah? I love Karen :paris:

An Arianator defending common sense :gemma: I don't stand for people who stan nobodies to come for/shade (since attack is a strong word) legends :paris: I may not enjoy all of her music but I'm not insane like other arianators here to completely dismiss her :paris: 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Elusive Loverboy said:

Daydream and Butterfly were

Receipts. 

You said they never gave her mixed reviews from the 90's, I showed you a bunch of receipts for one album. now you change the goalposts.

Why are lambs so annoying ? 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, King or Queen said:

Lifting a finger ? She has been traipsing all over Europe promoting her Christmas music. Mariah works hard for the Christmas popularity, lets not be deluded. 

the song was #1 on spotify and apple music in the US and broke streaming records w/o promotion :lmfao:

• Upvote 1
  • Give a Cookie 1

4 minutes ago, KarenFromFinance said:

An Arianator defending common sense :gemma: I don't stand for people who stan nobodies to come for/shade (since attack is a strong word) legends :paris: I may not enjoy all of her music but I'm not insane like other arianators here to completely dismiss her :paris: 

LOL. Gurl you need to chill. I do not dismiss Mariah, at all. Just having a little fun in BG ! 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, King or Queen said:

Receipts. 

You said they never gave her mixed reviews from the 90's, I showed you a bunch of receipts for one album. now you change the goalposts.

Why are lambs so annoying ? 

If you hate lambs so much stop making so many shady Mariah threads. Then you won’t have to deal with any

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fentypark said:

the song was #1 on spotify and apple music in the US and broke streaming records w/o promotion :lmfao:

It didn't break any records in the US, it broke a WW record for one day streaming. Gurl its on ALL the xmas playlists and lambs are binge streaming it and having streaming parties. Also it was promoted at the Jingle Bell ball thing and her team have been spamming it everywhere. Dont delude yourself that it isn't promoted because it is heavily promoted. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Elusive Loverboy said:

If you hate lambs so much stop making so many shady Mariah threads. Then you won’t have to deal with any

Or maybe lambs could stop being deluded and ridiculous and inventing lies ! How about trying that for 2019 ? :)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Elusive Loverboy said:

Same could be said about half of the mod team and the Barbz/Nicki, but let's not get into it here :courtney:

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, King or Queen said:

It didn't break any records in the US, it broke a WW record for one day streaming. Gurl its on ALL the xmas playlists and lambs are binge streaming it and having streaming parties. Also it was promoted at the Jingle Bell ball thing and her team have been spamming it everywhere. Dont delude yourself that it isn't promoted because it is heavily promoted. 

1. it's a popular christmas song. why wouldn't it be? 

2. stans constantly streaming a song isn't enough to propel an artists' streaming numbers

3. Jingle Bell ball promotion ... LOL :laughcry:

4. the spamming statement is anecdotal until you provide some numbers 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, fentypark said:

1. it's a popular christmas song. why wouldn't it be? 

2. stans constantly streaming a song isn't enough to propel an artists' streaming numbers

3. Jingle Bell ball promotion ... LOL :laughcry:

4. the spamming statement is anecdotal until you provide some numbers 

Gurl stop acting like its 2005. No ones does traditional promotion anymore. The song is heavily promoted where it matters, it is featured on all the big playlists. That is where it pulls its numbers from. And it only went to No 1 on Spotify US like yesterday for a few hours. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Elusive Loverboy said:

Mariah is rumoured to be No 1 in the UK tomorrow. Go lambs :-)

The Bye Bye curse may finally be lifted !! 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, King or Queen said:

Gurl stop acting like its 2005. No ones does traditional promotion anymore. The song is heavily promoted where it matters, it is featured on all the big playlists. That is where it pulls its numbers from. And it only went to No 1 on Spotify US like yesterday for a few hours

1. stop calling me girl. I am not a girl. 

2. being on a playlist does not guarantee a song will get a large amount of streams

3. the song is over 10 years. if it was that easy other 10 year old songs would be doing it  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, fentypark said:

1. stop calling me girl. I am not a girl. 

2. being on a playlist does not guarantee a song will get a large amount of streams

3. the song is over 10 years. if it was that easy other 10 year old songs would be doing it  

It’s actually 24 years old. Even harder for it!

• Upvote 1