Jump to content
The Return of CAL Read more... ×

Avril Lavigne

Was reputation a flop compared to 1989? Why?

Recommended Posts

I think yes, I mean, yes the reputation era was a success, yes she sold out stadiums, yes she made a lot of money, but did it have the impact 1989 had? When 1989 was out, its singles were EVERYWHERE, every single radio station was playing them, the music videos reached lots of views etc.

With reputation, I just don't feel like it had the same impact on everyone as 1989 had.

If this is true, then why do you think it happened? I think it was because of the overall nature of reputation, it was much darker than 1989 and I don't think the GP was ready for this version of Taylor.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

reputation was a success but not on the same level as 1989, but 1989 was really hard to top anyways, both the success and the actual album, I hope she doesn't stick with the trap-pop sound that was reputation though, it'll sound too dated in a few year, I doubt she will stick with the sound anyways so I'm not worried :cm:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All things considered, the album wss a success. PoP was already scarce in the US when Rep came out, yet the singles had high peaks and Delicate was an organic hit that had longevity. 

People also grew tired of Taylor. Lots of think-pieces about her post-1989, about her politically correctness, lack of commenting on social issues, etc. The media had already been attacking her since 2012 after she briefly dated Harry Styles...this coupled with how popular she was with 1989 only had one path in sight....but Rep was still a huge success for her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fentypark said:

he album was a success but it did nothing for her celebrity status like self-titled did for bey and anti for rih 

She didn’t really need to reach new celebrity status lengths as her celebrity status has always been pretty high - and has only risen since 1989 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Babyboy said:

She didn’t really need to reach new celebrity status lengths as her celebrity status has always been pretty high - and has only risen since 1989 

beyonce and rihanna's stardom has at this point transcended pop music. taylor showed with reputation that she doesn't have the range 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the fact that her “flop” era had #1 single, a sold out stadium tour AND sold over 1 million copies in a week shows that you should not underestimate Taylor Swift. Even when she’s supposedly flopping she is still doing better than most others.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it did not do as well, but I personally think Reputation is the better album! I mean Taylor best song of all time is DWOHT! and she did that on reputation not 1989

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2018 at 1:47 PM, Avril Lavigne said:

I think yes, I mean, yes the reputation era was a success, yes she sold out stadiums, yes she made a lot of money, but did it have the impact 1989 had? When 1989 was out, its singles were EVERYWHERE, every single radio station was playing them, the music videos reached lots of views etc.

With reputation, I just don't feel like it had the same impact on everyone as 1989 had.

If this is true, then why do you think it happened? I think it was because of the overall nature of reputation, it was much darker than 1989 and I don't think the GP was ready for this version of Taylor.

1989 was a dream era. Taylor was never really going to repeat that kind of huge success again. 

The worst part of Reputation era for me was this cringey bad girl persona she was trying to push. I mean Taylor can be annoying even when she is just being herself. She is INSUFFERABLE when she tries to act even more annoying. LWYMMD killed the entire era in my opinion. She should have released Delicate as the lead. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, King or Queen said:

1989 was a dream era. Taylor was never really going to repeat that kind of huge success again. 

The worst part of Reputation era for me was this cringey bad girl persona she was trying to push. I mean Taylor can be annoying even when she is just being herself. She is INSUFFERABLE when she tries to act even more annoying. LWYMMD killed the entire era in my opinion. She should have released Delicate as the lead. 

Downtempo songs are rarely released as first singles because it wouldn't reach big success and attract people's attention

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, #BuryTheStraightness said:

Downtempo songs are rarely released as first singles because it wouldn't reach big success and attract people's attention

Tell that to Adele. 

  • Upvote 1
  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, King or Queen said:

Neither does Taylor. 

reputation is full of dancepop songs, what are u talking about?

  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×