The Return of CAL Read more... ×

Sign in to follow this  
A Star Is Born

Is this more influential than anything Gaga has ever done?

Madonna depicted Black Jesus and racism. She, as a white woman, in a music video, getting a black man released from prison and depicting her getting kisses from Black Jesus is so powerful....I....
How come nobody talks about this nowadays? This was quite bold of her in the 80s. I always hear about "the burning crosses" as the controversy here but really, I think Madonna pissed of music industry heads and racist American media with this visualization and that's the real reason she got flack for it....Religion is a joke especially to the educated + elite.
This was VERY risky of her, she is SUCH a LEGEND.

• Upvote 2

I thought you hated her? Unless there’s sarcasm in this post I’m not picking up. Anyway, yeah, Gags hasn’t done anything that’s even close to this. Whether it be controversial or just as iconic. That’s not to say she hasn’t had her own pop culture moments, but they pale in comparison to this. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Bleh said:

:rip::rip::rip:

This would still be controversial today, Trump supporters would see a black Jesus and explode. 

It would be less controversial in terms of celebrities speaking out. Something politically and racially motivated that I'd deem controversial from the past year would be This Is America by Childish Gambino, because of how graphic it is.

On 11/5/2018 at 3:44 PM, neonnights said:

I thought you hated her? Unless there’s sarcasm in this post I’m not picking up. Anyway, yeah, Gags hasn’t done anything that’s even close to this. Whether it be controversial or just as iconic. That’s not to say she hasn’t had her own pop culture moments, but they pale in comparison to this. 

No sarcasm. She's questionable but I think she did a lot of good for gays and blacks in her heyday! For a pop culture figure as big and phenomenal as she was to discuss things like this in her music and visuals is so influential and inspiring. 

23 hours ago, demimaniac said:

both icons but anybody saying gags has gotten anywhere near the level of controversy and iconhood that madonna has is kidding themselves

madge didn't have to wear outrageous costumes to be controversial

Gaga actually helped the gay community a lot in 2011. Don't Ask Don't Tell was pretty huge and she was very much apart of that movement as anyone.