COP is back baby! Read more... ×
The BIGGEST COmPetition we've ever done! Read more... ×

Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Gorgeous

Was Nirvana bigger than Madonna in her Erotica Era? Why?

Well.. while there some stirred shits with Cardi/Nicki, I want to throwback to 90's

Back in 90's Madonna released Erotica(92), Bedtime Stories(94) and Ray Of Light.(98)

But, at the beginning of 90's was fail for Madonna. Why? Bcuz her album flopped (unstans :chi:) Many magazines "planned funeral for her" and "career was dead"

But at the same time, Nirvana became more popular (being mainstreamed with teenagers, especially their album, Nevermind in 1991-1992)

Therefore, Nirvana was a BIG sensation at that period of time...

Your opinion? Is locals were exaggarating? Or they were telling the truth? :gemma: 

The public was sick of Madonna and thought she took it to far; too vile.
Rock and Grunge were in and trendy in the mid 90s, it was inevitable that Madonna would be less successful in comparison, esp with Bedtime Stories but it was a necessary sound and image she had to explore  

• Upvote 2

Just now, R.E.M. said:

The public was sick of Madonna and thought she took it to far; too vile.
Rock and Grunge were in and trendy in the mid 90s, it was inevitable that Madonna would be less successful in comparison, esp with Bedtime Stories but it was a necessary sound and image she had to explore  

Imagine Madonna and grunge.. eh :madgerly:

• Upvote 2

Nirvana was an alternative rock band that ushered in the popularity of grunge music and became the voices of Generation X. Madonna was still big, but as @R.E.M. said, it was inevitable for Madonna to be less successful in comparison.

• Upvote 1

Just now, byakkoya said:

Nirvana was an alternative rock band that ushered in the popularity of grunge music and became the voices of Generation X. Madonna was still big, but as @R.E.M. said, it was inevitable for Madonna to be less successful in comparison.

Well, Erotica to this day is still unknown to locals, why? The Erotic Tour was a success. :wendyw:

Or ppl didn't like that sleazy image of sexy Madonna? :wendy19:

Just now, XxJTheBerrixX said:

By that point in time weren’t people tired of Madonna? Now Nirvana I don’t know but my parents loved the crap out of them and from what I understood it seemed like they had blown up pretty quickly. 

Well, it started from USA and later their tours became more stressful, bcz of European part of tours. :wendyw:

Also, I suppose ppl were enough of LAP and TB albums already, so the new album didn't approve their expectations. it only got worse with a SEXBOOK :wendyk:

• Upvote 1

People were sick of Madonna by that point. Everyone HATED her. Aside from her fans, she was loathed.

She did try to sign some grunge acts around that point but only got Candlebox nnn.

and then she wanted to sign Hole but Courtney Love was not having it. Ugh. Iconic.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Mr. Gorgeous said:

Well, Erotica to this day is still unknown to locals, why? The Erotic Tour was a success. :wendyw:

Or ppl didn't like that sleazy image of sexy Madonna? :wendy19:

More likely the latter. As others mentioned, people got sick of Madonna at that point.

• Upvote 1

Just now, neonnights said:

People were sick of Madonna by that point. Everyone HATED her. Aside from her fans, she was loathed.

She did try to sign some grunge acts around that point but only got Candlebox nnn.

and then she wanted to sign Hole but Courtney Love was not having it. Ugh. Iconic.

I remember that drunk breakdown in 95, omfg :hehe:

But at least she tried, even though I understand why everyone was sick of her. Madonna wanted more and more, and that equaled on her quality of her album. Even though, I like Erotica, but I can imagine how it was irritable or annoying for most of the ppl to listen her yet again.. and that sexy image really gave her a first flop. :wendy38:

• Upvote 2

I remember that drunk breakdown in 95, omfg :hehe:

But at least she tried, even though I understand why everyone was sick of her. Madonna wanted more and more, and that equaled on her quality of her album. Even though, I like Erotica, but I can imagine how it was irritable or annoying for most of the ppl to listen her yet again.. and that sexy image really gave her a first flop. :wendy38:

I read a book about Courtney Love a few years ago and there’s a quote in it where she called Madonna Dracula and said Madonna is always looking for her next victim :kelly: I think Courtney secretly wanted to her friend though. 

But, yeah. I think Vadge just pushed it too far and people were sick of her antics and then Nirvana happened and then grunge died down and pop came back and Madonna regained her popularity. 

• Upvote 1

I read a book about Courtney Love a few years ago and there’s a quote in it where she called Madonna Dracula and said Madonna is always looking for her next victim :kelly: I think Courtney secretly wanted to her friend though. 

But, yeah. I think Vadge just pushed it too far and people were sick of her antics and then Nirvana happened and then grunge died down and pop came back and Madonna regained her popularity. 

and yet again she flopped with AL, bcuz locals doesn't understand politics :kelly: 

Poor ha :kelly: 

• Upvote 1

and yet again she flopped with AL, bcuz locals doesn't understand politics :kelly: 

Poor ha :kelly: 

Ugh, GODmerican Life deserved better. The original video could’ve been so iconic but bitch was too worried about ha album sales. She DRAGGED America 

• Upvote 2

Have you guys seen the Madonna interview where Courtney Love suddenly gatecrashes? Mess but iconic

tumblr_ms4mdxRSLk1qhtc17o1_250.gif

• Upvote 2

Just now, Disco_Stan said:

Have you guys seen the Madonna is being interviewed and Courtney Love suddenly gatecrashes? Mess but iconic

tumblr_ms4mdxRSLk1qhtc17o1_250.gif

My fave. She seemed SO uninterested in whatever Courtney had to say lol. 

In NME, Madonna dragged Courtney for being two faced. She said Courtney would call her late at night, praising her and then would go to the press and say nasty things about her. I believe it cause Courtney is a known liar (I like the good sis but she is a MESS). 

And in YM, they asked Madonna what she thought of Courtney Love and she simply said “Who is Courtney Love?” and moved on. Nnnn Madonna does not hide her feelings. I love it!

• Upvote 2

My fave. She seemed SO uninterested in whatever Courtney had to say lol. 

In NME, Madonna dragged Courtney for being two faced. She said Courtney would call her late at night, praising her and then would go to the press and say nasty things about her. I believe it cause Courtney is a known liar (I like the good sis but she is a MESS). 

And in YM, they asked Madonna what she thought of Courtney Love and she simply said “Who is Courtney Love?” and moved on. Nnnn Madonna does not hide her feelings. I love it!

I believe it too, Courtney Love was off her face on drugs in the mid- 90's so the good sis wasn't all there. And LOL at Madonna not wasting time on anyone who doesn't respect her :gaycat4:

LMFAO :kelly: 

Madonna gor scurred and go away from her :kelly: 

Luv the safety icon :kelly: 

IKR, Queen's not playing with a potential crazy she can't control :madgerly:

• Upvote 1