COP is back baby! Read more... ×
The BIGGEST COmPetition we've ever done! Read more... ×

Sign in to follow this  
Swagga

The Guardian: The dark side of gay stan culture

For gay men, ‘stanning’ – being a super fan of – female pop stars can be a valuable part of your identity. But too often this fandom lapses into misogyny and body shaming

Ahead of Britney Spears’ record-breaking show at Brighton Pridethis year, Aaron Hussey noticed a fellow fan wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with a picture of Spears’ nervous breakdown: the 2007 incident when, head shaved, she attacked a photographer’s car with an umbrella. “I think he thought he was being funny,” Hussey says. “He wasn’t.”

Gay male culture has always coalesced around female pop stars, from Judy Garland to Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande. Academics and critics have puzzled over the source of this connection, their often misplaced theories ranging from the outlandish to the oedipal. But gay men and the women they worship are usually happy to bask in the mutual affection. This year, Spears was honoured with an award by the US’s Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (Glaad) for promoting equality. She responded by saying the gay community had shown her “unconditional love”.

But “unconditional” is often precisely what this love is not. Scratch lightly at the surface and what flakes off is, yes, reciprocity and genuine affection, but also callous misogyny.

One theory of the gay fan-diva link is that of shared oppression – gay men and women are both ground under the wheel of hetero-patriarchy. Perhaps in that model, the Spears T-shirt could be read as a show of solidarity, a knowing acknowledgment of her pain and our understanding? But there was nothing knowing in the way another gay fan photoshopped an umbrella into his meet and greet photo with the unwitting star and later circulated it online. These actions have a distinct edge of mockery, the air of a joke that their subject is not in on.

The love-hate dynamic of gay stan culture that Bronski describes is now largely mediated through social media. Heckling in smoky nightclubs has been replaced by “hate memes”, when stans circulate unflattering edited pictures or examples of a star’s least-becoming behaviour, while the cheering has morphed into a lexicon of superlatives and put-downs that may seem impenetrable to the uninitiated: “we stan” favoured female pop stars, they’re “iconic”, a “kween”, an “unproblematic fave”. “She outsold” describes both someone’s commercial successes and a general sense of their superiority. Anyone who fails to meet those standards? “Fat”, “flop”, “failure”.

For him, this behaviour typifies gay stan culture: female artists must obey the rules or suffer the consequences. “A sinister side emerges when their ‘fave’ isn’t giving them exactly what they want,” Byrne explains. “Often jokes made at their expense are said in fun but it’s grim to see the joy [the community] sometimes takes in seeing these women fail: ‘She’s over!’, ‘Flop!’ ‘This era is dead!’ Look at the smug tweets about Nadine Coyle cancelling her tour; the way Katy Perry became gay Twitter’s punching bag.”

Baker says: “I’ve seen stan Twitter make jokes about the Manchester attacks, Demi Lovato’s recent overdose, Beyoncé’s skin tone, Noah Cyrus’s appearance.”

Much has been written about the “queer art of failure” – how queer people are always viewed as failures by heteronormative society, and thus must make a success of their own non-conformity. Perhaps, in this context, it’s unsurprising that gay men seem to revel in the perceived setbacks and shortcomings of their stanned subjects. But the sympathy one might expect to accompany this identification seems absent. The behaviour is less like a playful poke in the ribs, and more like a slap in the face.

Even when gay men aren’t raining outright abuse on these women, their praise can sometimes reveal different forms of misogyny. One recent trend is to laud women by hailing them as “skinny” or a “skinny legend” – a trope that took off with a meme about Mariah Carey. Though it is used figuratively to imply flawlessness, it is revealing that a word historically used to police female physicality has naturally evolved in the gay male vernacular. Can it be anything other than chauvinist body-shaming?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/sep/04/they-just-wanted-to-silence-her-the-dark-side-of-gay-stan-culture

The way they dragged us for filth. :rip:

• Upvote 3

Just now, ReprehensibleRoach said:

What about female stars themselves who want to see other women fail? They're supposed to lead by example :jan1: 

Imagine being hated by all of your competition because you're so vile? :jan1: 

What has Cardi ever done to help another female rapper?

Just now, Swagga said:

Tbh, straight sports stans are way worse than us harmless gheys. Some of them literally kill each other or themselves when their faves lose. :jan2:

I've heard someone here in Portugal sent death threats to a Sporting (soccer club) member because they lost a game. :ariscared:

• Upvote 2

Just now, ReprehensibleRoach said:

Cardi was right there on stage with Remy, Kim, Latifah, Young Ma, etc etc last year all celebrating women in hip hop. You're welcome :kiss: 

Remy's whole 'comeback' was based on tearing another woman down and you're using her as an example? Even though Nicki had shown her love numerous times in the past? And the same Young M.A that Nicki put on throughout 2016 and continues to shoutout today? The same Latifah who had Nicki on and supporting her talk show? 

Girl, going on stage with a bunch of people ain't doing shit :rip: 

• Upvote 1

For him, this behaviour typifies gay stan culture: female artists must obey the rules or suffer the consequences. “A sinister side emerges when their ‘fave’ isn’t giving them exactly what they want,” Byrne explains. “Often jokes made at their expense are said in fun but it’s grim to see the joy [the community] sometimes takes in seeing these women fail: ‘She’s over!’, ‘Flop!’ ‘This era is dead!’ Look at the smug tweets about Nadine Coyle cancelling her tour; the way Katy Perry became gay Twitter’s punching bag.”

They didn't lie :somepoints:

Just now, RicanText said:

She gave one a well needed hit and that hit  made that female rapper a topic of discussion. 

That's all she's done.

Nicki has done many things for female rappers yet that she's hater and she wants to see other women fail? I don't get it. Y'all either just making shit up to hate or completely blinded by your hate. 

Absolutely fantastic post @Swagga

I've just finished reading the entire article.  :naomi:The Guardian has been on a steady decline for the last few years and this is just one more cringy piece they should have never published.

The author's main claim is that stan culture only appears to have adoration and respect for women - pop girls. It is actually inherently misogynistic,

The kii is that journalist actually exposes his own bullshit by the end of the article when he quotes an actual actual fucking professor and not his amateur school paper writing:

"....the bullying behaviours found in gay stan culture are common to all fandoms."

:sistren:

“Because the object of a fan’s adoration becomes very important to the fan’s happiness, when there is some sort of disappointment, that brings a strong – and sometimes problematic – response. That is the dynamic behind the ‘mood swings’ you see in fandom, where fans love something one day and turn on it the next. It’s not about misogyny. It cuts across gender, sexuality, type of fandom, even time. Sports fans sometimes turn on star players in the same way. I don’t think it’s a male-female thing or a gay-straight thing. I think it’s a human thing.”

I am now stanning Dr Lynn Zubernis - truth telling queen! :praisejesus:

• Upvote 3

Just now, kordei said:

That's all she's done.

Nicki has done many things for female rappers yet that she's hater and she wants to see other women fail? I don't get it. Y'all either just making shit up to hate or completely blinded by your hate. 

Good to know that YOU know her 3 pack of promo singles didn’t make her a topic of discussion. Billboard.com agrees.

And i’m actually curious what the 3 pack of “promo” singles were for since they are attached to no album. We’re they that big of flops and non events that we pretend they don’t exist?

Good thing Motorsport came thru and made her a discussion. :shrug: 

• Upvote 1

i don't STAN anyone so i'm fine, lol. I'm a fan of the bitches in my sig, that's all, some people take it to the next fucked up level and it's not cute.

Saying you give oral for people who buy a copy of a song. i mean... 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Avril Lavigne said:

I've heard someone here in Portugal sent death threats to a Sporting (soccer club) member because they lost a game. :ariscared:

Sports stans are so violent.

You would never see this happening at a Britney concert

image.png.6d402753c7448586ed199d71df6a2413.png

0317_fan-violence_cog-1000x547.jpg

...And we are the problem?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Disco_Stan said:

Sports stans are so violent.

You would never see this happening at a Britney concert

image.png.6d402753c7448586ed199d71df6a2413.png

0317_fan-violence_cog-1000x547.jpg

...And we are the problem?

I'll never get people who say stans or weeaboos or cosplayers or gamers are worse than sports fans.

• Upvote 1