The BIGGEST COmPetition we've ever done! Read more... ×
Move over Eurovision! COPvision is back! Read more... ×

Sign in to follow this  
aahfeekiee

Do you think that woke/PC culture is preventing the next big pop girl from making it big?

So I did a thread on Gaga and good sis @Pixelated Kunt mentioned something about Gaga that struck a chord for me

Just now, Pixelated Kunt said:

she knows how to cause controversy without being backfired.

So the discussion: The controversial things that Gaga and Madonna got away with during their peak eras would probably not have sailed through in today's internet culture of scrutinizing things celebrities do that can be interpreted as problematic. Something like the meat dress would, in 2018, have been shot down much more than back when Gaga wore it.

OgiI.gif

Do you think this culture is preventing the next big popstar from making it big? The new popstars are often seen as holding back from making bold controversial statements - be it in fashion, music or politics - to avoid upsetting politically correct culture. Do you think this "let's play it safe to avoid ruining our careers" approach of our new pop girls preventing them from becoming one of our pop titans?

Let's discuss! :sipsip:

• Upvote 5

Cancel culture can be ridiculous but when did we ever want a controversial pop girl? The ideal pop girl is non problematic but makes statements with her art.. or at least that’s what I think the idea popstar is. 

If were talking “cancelled cause she says faggot” did she ever deserve the title in the first place? 

The only popstars we “cancelled” are Poppy and Melanie Martinez and even then we still have stans lurking around sometimes

• Upvote 4

Just now, barbiej33p said:

Cancel culture can be ridiculous but when did we ever want a controversial pop girl? The ideal pop girl is non problematic but makes statements with her art.. or at least that’s what I think the idea popstar is. 

If were talking “cancelled cause she says faggot” did she ever deserve the title in the first place? 

The only popstars we “cancelled” are Poppy and Melanie Martinez and even then we still have stans lurking around sometimes

I mean I don't think I had people who say "n****" or "faggot" in mind since those ones are pretty clear cut problematic and unnecessary.

I'm thinking more of art that can be scrutinized and interpreted as being only problematic even though it might have its own redeeming qualities artistically. Like the meat dress, or Gaga wearing a translucent niqab. Idk, I only had Gaga in mind when I made this post :giggle: I didn't think this through.

• Upvote 1

partially yes but they’re also just straight up boring. you can just tell from their music, fashion, and the way they carry themselves that they’re not being held back, they just don’t have a creative bone in their bodies. or maybe i’m being too harsh :giggle:

• Upvote 3

Just now, Lucky said:

The situation is a lot more nuanced than that.

Discuss it here! I like that you're seeing the issue as a lot more multifaceted than what I brought to the table. Feel free to type lots!

Just now, Venti said:

No. Honestly it's just that the people don't like pop music as much as they used to. I doubt the GP really cares about donut gate or any of the other pop girl controversies

Donutgate objectively isn't that huge tho? I never got why she got hate for it. I mean, we all hate America??? What makes her so special :kelly: let the good sis live 

• Upvote 1

But at the same time, rappers are usually much more controversial than pop singers are yet they still get success. Male rappers get away with anything and female rappers get away with a lot too (not nearly as much as male counterparts but still). I don’t think it’s a controversy issue as much as it is genre :shrug:

• Upvote 3

Just now, aahfeekiee said:

Donutgate objectively isn't that huge tho? I never got why she got hate for it. I mean, we all hate America??? What makes her so special :kelly: let the good sis live 

Yeah I know it isn't that big, but that was my point because all most all of the controversies pop girls on the past few years have had are small and irrelevant

Just now, Tattooed Heart said:

But at the same time, rappers are usually much more controversial than pop singers are yet they still get success. Male rappers get away with anything and female rappers get away with a lot too (not nearly as much as male counterparts but still). I don’t think it’s a controversy issue as much as it is genre :shrug:

But like the very foundation of hip-hop is rooted in rap battles and being petty, rap started out this way, then all the political commentary stuff came about later. Pop music on the other hand is more meant to be for popular consumption. I think that makes a bit of a difference somewhere?

• Upvote 2

Literally Yes

the soceity & age we live in now is hyper sensitive about anything & everything 

if Gaga or madonna were to debut in 2018 they would've been eaten alive and crucified by the public & media

And we actually thought what madonna & Gaga went through with American Life & ARTPOP was backlash back then lmao

That was nothing 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tattooed Heart said:

you brought up an interesting point. i think it’s more about people’s perception of artists of that genre like pop stars are supposed to be polished and keep their mouths shut whereas rappers are EXPECTED to be ruthless and sleazy for example: people complaining about modern day rap beefs because it’s all talk and no blood is shed :trishashook:

• Upvote 2