COP is back baby! Read more... ×
The BIGGEST COmPetition we've ever done! Read more... ×

Sign in to follow this  
aahfeekiee

What will it take for stan culture to have a renaissance?

So what's the tea? Most of us can agree stan culture peaked from 2011 till about Bangerz in 2013. Most of our pop titans had material out that period, and afterwards western pop stan culture declined and flatlined. Concert figures overall dipped, so has pop culture forum activity across the board. Fanbase power in general is also declining in western pop with the advent of streaming services and stream-equivalent-sales that rely on GP's approval. 

Do you think stan culture can even have another renaissance? What will it take for stan culture to rise again? Is it when the hip-hop and nostalgia trends end? Do we need our pop titans to come back at the same time? Or do we need new pop girlies to break through and usher in a new wave of fans?

Or are we admitting defeat and letting the kpoppies take over? :sipsip:

What are your thoughts? :gaycat23:

• Upvote 1

Just now, Believe In Furler said:

Streaming services ruined pop and that's the tea tbh :oprahbath:

Do you think there can be a way for stan culture to thrive in a system where streaming services exists?

Just now, aahfeekiee said:

Do you think there can be a way for stan culture to thrive in a system where streaming services exists?

Yep. But it's gonna take time, Rap R&B and Pop always traditionally swap places every decade or so, i mean just look at the early 2000's. We got spoiled 2009-2013

• Upvote 1

Yep. But it's gonna take time, Rap R&B and Pop always traditionally swap places every decade or so, i mean just look at the early 2000's. We got spoiled 2009-2013

I like that you're taking long-term music trends to mind. Hopefully it will work in our favor! 

• Upvote 1

I think stanning has actually become more prevalent with the continued rise of social media, but pop culture itself has been on a major decline since 2013. There aren’t really any huge moments anymore, and there isn’t a new pop girl that’s really shaking the table.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

I've said it before and i'll say it again, The Future of Pop is a Charli XCX PC music sound.

add that to 80s pop sensibilities bc nostalgia currently sells and there'll always be a market for catchy synthpop/electropop!

more carly & charli collaborations, perhaps? and a random rapper feature to trick people into thinking it's gonna be a trap song :evilpatrick:

• Upvote 1

Well, I feel like pop hasn't actually declined, it's just streaming services now better represent what people are listening to. I don't think it was ever Hip/hop/urban was just less popular it was just not shown correctly on the charts since pure sales, for the most part, favored pop artists. For example, drake's take care album had like 3 million illegal downloads a year. I think it's just time, as trends change and pop is at the forefront of streaming services stan culture will flourish too!

• Upvote 1

Just now, ???????? said:

I think stanning has actually become more prevalent with the continued rise of social media, but pop culture itself has been on a major decline since 2013. There aren’t really any huge moments anymore, and there isn’t a new pop girl that’s really shaking the table.

but the thing is, it doesn't rise beyond the rate of adoption of social media. honestly i seldom hear of people outside of the K-Pop fandom actually picking up stan culture, instead from what I've seen, there's a lot of people leaving as they settle down and move on to less pointless activities in life.  

the current participating members of stan culture are an ageing group - we just don't have enough new members joining since 2013. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tαβοο said:

Stan Culture hit its peak in 2011 (Gaga vs Madonna, Adele, Brit, Bey, Rih, Katy etc) & 2013 with the Gaga vs Katy... & Miley

yeah but what will it take for it to rise again? i'm curious about what you think!

Just now, ???????? said:

All of this 

Stan twitter used to be so small and also fun and less toxic/problematic but because of apps like twitter continuing to grow that also means a new mentality is bound to appear and sadly it's for the worse. Literally almost everywhere you see stans reply to their own tweets for no reason saying "wbk" and all that corny shit, not to mention how the majority of the group have been justifying online bullying with vile comments

• Upvote 2

also to answer the OP this is basically a yes and no answer to me. with a new generation joining social media. things will either change for better or worse so there's no real answer if stan twitter will ever have a renaissance

Just now, Pixelated Kunt said:

All of this 

Stan twitter used to be so small and also fun and less toxic/problematic but because of apps like twitter continuing to grow that also means a new mentality is bound to appear and sadly it's for the worse. Literally almost everywhere you see stans reply to their own tweets for no reason saying "wbk" and all that corny shit, not to mention how the majority of the group have been justifying online bullying with vile comments

Wbk sis

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Just now, aahfeekiee said:

yeah but what will it take for it to rise again? i'm curious about what you think!

i think if at least two or three of the main pop girls released music around the same time or a few months apart 

Stan culture will be back to its glory days ....other than that these new girls are not doing it for anyone atm

Just now, Pixelated Kunt said:

All of this 

the "wbk" and "skinny" tweets are cringey yeah but idk overall I always thought it was performative woke-ness and virtue signalling that ultimately led to stan twitter's downfall. being socially conscious is great and all but when you politicize it in pop music and hold woke standards against people who are paid to be entertainers, it ruins the fun for everyone.

why can't people idolize actual social activists for their woke needs? lmao