The Return of CAL Read more... ×

despy

COPCRITIC | "SWEETENER" BY ARIANA GRANDE | SCORE : 75/100

Even though many people aren't really vibing with this album pure of the different sounds Ariana Grande is taking on with this new album, the pop girl really served with the songs. Especially with "breathin", "R.E.M", "everytime", "blazed", "God is a woman" & "No Tears Left To Cry". 

She mixed with different sounds on this album including pop & R&B. With collaborations from Nicki Minaj, Pharell Williams & Missy Elliot this album is one for the books. 

My personal opinion: Even though some of the songs aren't my jam, especially "borderline", the album is a grower once you listen to it more.

Score: 85/100

• Upvote 1

The entire album sounded really weird when i listened to it for the first time, but it's definitely a grower.
"Borderline", "Get Well Soon" & "Sweetener" are the only tracks i don't like for now.

65/100!

It was not a bad album, after a few more listens it didn't grow on me, there was 4 songs I did enjoy but the rest was sorta just fillers for me, still a cute album but after dangarous woman, it was a bit of a downgrade!

Favourite Tracks: breathin, blazed, GIAW, borderline, goodbye to go!

worst: R.E.M & better me

• Upvote 1

Just now, Avalanche said:

Even though many people aren't really vibing with this album pure of the different sounds Ariana Grande is taking on with this new album, the pop girl really served with the songs. Especially with "breathin", "R.E.M", "everytime", "blazed", "God is a woman" & "No Tears Left To Cry". 

She mixed with different sounds on this album including pop & R&B. With collaborations from Nicki Minaj, Pharell Williams & Missy Elliot this album is one for the books. 

My personal opinion: Even though some of the songs aren't my jam, especially "borderline", the album is a grower once you listen to it more.

Score: 85/100

We vibin', we vibin'

• Upvote 1

I didn’t love it at first but it grew on me and got so much better. The album is very weird. It’s expeirmental but breaks no boundaries. The pharrell tracks almost make it seem like it’s a pharrell album over an Ariana one. The high points are HIGH with tracks like Breathin, no tears, giaw. The low points aren’t neccesarily bad just almost dull or boring with songs like rem and the hook of successful. Overall, the album is MUCH better than stans say, I just wish pharell put more work in following a central theme because even with all the similar sounding almost boring electronic sounds, it still feels like it’s all over the place.  It may seem like I’m ripping into the album but it’s actuallt very good just some very obvious flaws. I really appreciate the early 90s R&B sound!

85/100

• Upvote 1

I’d give it a solid 70. 

I’ve never been a big fan of Ari’s music (aside from Baby I which is one of my faves), but I decided to give this album a listen, and I was pleasantly surprised. It’s a grower for sure, and I can see myself putting this on when I want to just chill and relax. 

AND I totally love the Imogen Heap sample she used in Goodnight n Go because I used to love that song as a kid.

Guest IsThatSaraS

It's different... but it's still great :gaycat:

85/100

55/100

I like that Ariana tried doing something different but the execution is very poor, it feels more like a Pharrell/N.E.R.D album than Ariana's . Her vocals have matured a lot from her previous albums but sadly it didn't give most songs on it any justice. Ariana needs to find her identity and stick to it because I can't take her seriously as an artist despite some songs on this album that should be part of her lane