The Return of CAL Read more... ×

Sign in to follow this  
Guest IsThatSaraS

Is Lady Gaga’s ‘Artpop’ Really As Bad As Everyone Says?

Guest IsThatSaraS

"Artpop, Lady Gaga’s fourth album, never stood a chance.

While her second-most commercially successful album to date,

2011’s Born This Way didn’t sustain Gaga’s cataclysmic hold on pop culture, not that it ever could.

As its follow up, Artpop was framed as a last-grab attempt to return to the throne. 

Measured under the metric of ‘reach astronomical heights of artistry or bust’, it was doomed to flop.

Then again, the promo cycle certainly didn’t help.

In the lead-up, Gaga herself promised something spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before:

where she once said Born This Way would be “the album of the decade”,

now she claimed Artpop was the “album of infinite”.

When lead single ‘Applause’ dropped, 

most casual listeners were too off-caught by its clunky self-described artful-ness to enjoy it for what it was: a synth-pop banger.

Lines like “Pop culture was an art/Now pop culture and art are me”

sounded a little too Warhol 101 — which would be fine,

but Gaga seemed intent on presenting Artpop as something so much more....."

Continued below

https://junkee.com/artpop-lady-gaga/170719

Some songs are just bad and there isn’t getting around that, only hardcore stans will call it a flawless album. It has it’s flaws, but it’s a pretty album to look at. It’s also important for pop stans to listen to at least once, I think.

*inb4 someone quotes this saying “yes so they can know how NOT to make a pop album :evillaugh:“* 

It’s not that bad of an album, Joanne is worse.

• Upvote 2

Guest eevee

It would have been better if she didnt over-produce the tracks and just release the itunes festival versions, but i feel like the whole process was rushed anyway, it wasnt a bad album but it feels unfinished and it's like she didnt have enough time to really show us the concept and stuff

Just now, eevee said:

It would have been better if she didnt over-produce the tracks and just release the itunes festival versions, but i feel like the whole process was rushed anyway, it wasnt a bad album but it feels unfinished and it's like she didnt have enough time to really show us the concept and stuff

I actually agree with you but I think the songs are underproduced, and often flat. The swinfest songs are superior because they feel more alive, especially title track and swine. I was really excited for the studio versions but then I was like .. Girl what

Guest eevee
Just now, barbiej33p said:

I actually agree with you but I think the songs are underproduced, and often flat. The swinfest songs are superior because they feel more alive, especially title track and swine. I was really excited for the studio versions but then I was like .. Girl what

You're not wrong, it's weird how some songs don't have any bass at all (Artpop, Manicure...) the beats do sound under-produced, but the song were perfect at the itunes festival, she didnt need to add so much adlibs on Sexxx Dreams, the song was perfect just the way it was,  i think the biggest problem is also how her vocals sound too boring and polished, it's like she tried to sing in a more commercial voice compared to BTW, that's why the aura demo is also better than the final version cause she's really singing with her guts in the demo... Almosr all the demos are better than the final versions :gaycat12:

She started working on the record in 2012 and didn't finish finalizing it until a week before its release, or Applause's release. Meaning she was changing and tweaking it for a year. I think overall, it's a solid pop record. Gaga just didn't have label funding for promotion like Born This Way and the split from Troy fucked her up, so she abandoned the album. But she made sure to give us the extravagant G.U.Y video. 

Applause was a #4 hit and the album sold decently, along with Dope and Do What U Want. It wasn't a total loss.

Not really, it has a lot of good bops tbh. Her albums afterwards were not the TEA but i suppose it was for her 40 - 70 year old stanbase as artpop was for the younger genration

• Upvote 1

Not at all, honestly. Some songs are a tad bit overproduced, but they’re still very enjoyable. 

Jewels N Drugs, Dope, Sexxx Dreams, G.U.Y., etc. are all solid songs.

and she had the Real Housewives in one of the videos for this era, so. I like it. 

• Upvote 1