shmeur

Why Do Stans Hate Residencies

Serious question: is the anti-residency bandwagon just a meme at this point?  There’s nothing bad about being iconic enough to secure yourself a permanent show.  Give me actual logical arguments instead of just calling a person a fad.

• Upvote 1

Guest messiah

A residency is like living in a retirement home. You go nowhere and only get dustier. 

So yeah...

Guest IsThatSaraS

I don't like them.

I'd rather the artists go on a world tour instead, and see the fans that way :wendy30:

I think a lot of stans feel residencies are pop girl graveyards when it’s actually the opposite. A lot of pop acts have had lots of success and have made bank with residencies. Britney and Celine come to mind. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, IsThatSaraS said:

I don't like them.

I'd rather the artists go on a world tour instead, and see the fans that way :wendy30:

I get that but do you think it makes an artist over?  Tour life is not easy

Guest messiah
Just now, shmeur said:

But how is it a retirement home?  You can still record albums

Touring is like the biggest part when releasing music. If your tours are stuck in one place basically rotting then what’s the point. 

Yeah, they can be very successful but so can retirement homes.

I'm being selfish here; there is no way I'm able to go to Vegas to see Gaga(for an example)

Plus being a foreign stan makes me feel like a tour date is all I get from the artist sometimes.

No free album signings, no listening parties, etc. 

Just now, raja said:

Touring is like the biggest part when releasing music. If your tours are stuck in one place basically rotting then what’s the point. 

Yeah, they can be very successful but so can retirement homes.

But a successful artist doesn’t need to tour because when they’re big the fans will flock to them.

Guest IsThatSaraS
Just now, shmeur said:

I get that but do you think it makes an artist over?  Tour life is not easy

It's better promotion imo :gaycat:

Just now, Dirkje said:

I'm being selfish here; there is no way I'm able to go to Vegas to see Gaga(for an example)

Plus being a foreign stan makes me feel like a tour date is all I get from the artist sometimes.

No free album signings, no listening parties, etc. 

I mean I am probably biased since most artists have residencies in my city but do you think it’s fair to call Gaga a fad

And, it doesn’t exactly spell the end of one’s career either. Britney was in Vegas for what, 5 years? Now she’s embarking on a world tour. 20 years into her career. Some people are just being extra about residencies 

Guest IsThatSaraS

Vegas seems so tacky anyway. Like, why would you wanna go there??? :nyleave:

Guest messiah
Just now, shmeur said:

But a successful artist doesn’t need to tour because when they’re big the fans will flock to them.

That’s almost not true. Really the only way to not fuck up if you don’t tour is to be a streaming giant. Gaga and Britney aren’t. 

Guest messiah

Bottom line, it seems like a last ditch effort for a temporary long term issue.

Just now, shmeur said:

I mean I am probably biased since most artists have residencies in my city but do you think it’s fair to call Gaga a fad

No, not when she is still doing fine (IMO)

For Gaga I think its still too early for her to do the residency show. 

Guest eevee

It depends, in Gaga's case i think it's justified because she really ruined her health with all the touring, she wouldnt have fibromyalgia if she didnt broke her hip

fibromyalgia causes pain in all ur body and its permanent so she'll probably never tour the same way she used to