New COP Promotion!!! Read more... ×

Scarlett O'Hara

Why are ARTPOP and 4 considered flops, but Dangerous Woman a success?

ARTPOP sold 250k in the USA and SOLD (without streams) 600k+ Worldwide in its first week, got a Top 5 solo single, and has sold 2 million copies to this day. This was all with the media dragging her at every turn and stans tearing her apart.

4 had a large tour and sold 310K in the USA in it's first week, also without streaming and with the whole project leaking months before the release. It has sold over 3M albums to this day.

Dangerous Woman didn't go #1, unlike the other 2, and its first week sales were 175k in the USA (where only 120k were pure). It had one Top 5 single and has only sold 1.5M after a year. Her last solo single hit #13 and Everyday bombed.

So why is one of these eras enough to constitute a pop girl as "the new pop princess" "running pop" etc. But the other 2 eras are considered flops and jokes? Where does this double standard come in and why?

• Upvote 1

Because ARTPOP was a big step down from BTW which made it look like it's a big flop, but ARTPOP has solid numbers and was missmanaged to death. A video for DWUW or some promo for GUY would have raised the sales for ARTPOP. 

Idk shit about the 4 era lol:wendy24:

I think for an ex-act like Ari 1,5M sold copies are a big success, however it wasn't that much successful compared to the typical album sellers like Bey and Gaga,  but overhyped by the gays. 

Because Gaga went from 1,1M in first week to 600k so it seemed like a huge flop. BTW sold at least 7M copies to this day while ARTPOP sold 2.5M according to Wikipedia, it is a huge difference unfortunately. Dangerous Woman isn't a huge enormous success but selling 1,5M copies isn't a little thing these days especially for women and as we witnessed - they are flopping lately. 

Albums in 2016 don't sell like they used to in 2011 and 2013, that's why Dangerous Woman's sales are considered good compared to other albums that year (ANTI, Joanne, This Is Acting have all sold the same copies more or less). 4 and ARTPOP's sales are disappointing compared to the other albums of Beyoncé and Lady Gaga although I don't think that they are commercial failures.

The Dangerous Woman era had longevity and, ultimately, made it at least feel bigger. ARTPOP pretty much had one big single and then DWUW and G.U.Y. happened. I feel like Beyonce pissed a lot of people off with Run The World (Girls) so it was only moderately successful and the era kept falling until Love On Top was also moderately successful.

Dangerous Woman and Into You were both moderate hits and, once we all thought she was done, she released Side To Side and it became one of the biggest hits of her career. #4 on the Hot 100, the video was watched a billion times and it ultimately made DW the fourth most streamed album by a female on Spotify (with My Everything at #1). The streak of hits over a period of months ultimately made the album seem like a bigger event than 4 and ARTPOP.

It also helps that the album is universally acclaimed and it's acclaim only escalated with Side To Side's success. I actually think 4 is Beyonce's best album but many people don't agree with me and ARTPOP ... well ... I don't need to explain that, do I? It's probably also worth mentioning that Ariana outsold her fellow ex-acts (Demi, Selena) while Gaga and Bey were considered flops in comparison to their competition (Katy and Rihanna respectively).

So, I guess that's it. Ariana outsold all the girls in her lane at the time and the consistency and longevity ultimately made Dangerous Woman seem like a hit album.

On 28/07/2017 at 1:11 PM, tragicgabriel said:

because Ariana is definitely not on Bey's and Gaga's level and the success she got from DW is huge (not compared to the other two) so of course the album isn't considered a flop

People do gas her up to be a massive A-list artist though- there's a thread open right now with many people saying she'll be remembered as a legend. 

It's not really fair to compare Ariana to Beyoncé and Gaga. Dangerous Woman was a big era for her and compared to her peers. ARTPOP and 4 were considered flops because it was by their standards, considering they had huge era(s) before that. Beyoncé has really managed to bounce back though, can't really say the same for Gaga (yet at least).