Jump to content

neonnights

Horror Movies Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

Horror is my J U SH. I've been stanning since I was a toddler.

Recently I've watched a few newer films, and well:

A Quiet Place 4/5
Strangers II 3/5
Rings 4.5/5 (I love this entire series so I'm biased)
Unsane 4.5/5
It Comes At Night 3/5

I could use some recommendations if anyone has any, I enjoy every style of horror but along the lines of supernatural / psychological / unhinged type stuff.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Avalanche said:

SAME SIS! WE LOVE TASTE! WE NEED A SCREAM 5 :tellem2: 

UGH YES WE DO! I was so pressed that they never came through with the new trilogy that was supposedly planned. Scream 4, while good, was just a bit of a letdown overall. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely love horror movies! But Western ones tend to suck because there's no superstition/folklore/cultural context to build a good plot on. But Asian horror movies, however... y'all

Hollywood is great at psychological thrillers though.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, aahfeekiee said:

I absolutely love horror movies! But Western ones tend to suck because there's no superstition/folklore/cultural context to build a good plot on. But Asian horror movies, however... y'all

Hollywood is great at psychological thrillers though.

I only know of Japanese horror movies like Ringu and Ju-On. But ngl I prefer the American remake of Ju-On because Sarah Michelle Gellar is in it nnn.

but, on a whole, most American horror movies are sub-par cause a lot of it IS the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jujubae said:

Horror is my J U SH. I've been stanning since I was a toddler.

Recently I've watched a few newer films, and well:

A Quiet Place 4/5
Strangers II 3/5
Rings 4.5/5 (I love this entire series so I'm biased)
Unsane 4.5/5
It Comes At Night 3/5

I could use some recommendations if anyone has any, I enjoy every style of horror but along the lines of supernatural / psychological / unhinged type stuff.

 

Just now, neonnights said:

I only know of Japanese horror movies like Ringu and Ju-On. But ngl I prefer the American remake of Ju-On because Sarah Michelle Gellar is in it nnn.

but, on a whole, most American horror movies are sub-par cause a lot of it IS the same.

Oldboy (2013) has a cult following among psychological thriller enthusiasts for good reason. 

For standard horror, I recall Shutter (2004) and The Eye (2002) haunting me for a good few years.

  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, aahfeekiee said:

Oldboy has a cult following among psychological thriller enthusiasts for good reason. 

For standard horror, I recall Shutter and The Eye haunting me for a good few years.

J-Horror/K-Horror/C-Horror are my specialties!! 

I adore the Oldboy trilogy, my favorite being Lady Vengeance - it's so stylish and has a pretty powerful story.

I love Shutter and The Eye, the remakes less so... but I was truly snatched by The Eye 2. It had some incredibly chilling scenes that I'll never forget. A bit more obscure and never saw much success, but still superior to even the first in my opinion.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, aahfeekiee said:

 

Oldboy (2013) has a cult following among psychological thriller enthusiasts for good reason. 

For standard horror, I recall Shutter (2004) and The Eye (2002) haunting me for a good few years.

I’ll give them a watch. :party:

I’ve seen the Shutter remake it it was tragic. So was the One Missed Call remake. All of the American remakes are bad, basically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, neonnights said:

I’ll give them a watch. :party:

I’ve seen the Shutter remake it it was tragic. So was the One Missed Call remake. All of the American remakes are bad, basically.

 

@jujubae is pretty on the ball with Asian horror, I think they've watched a lot of the horror films I have, although my focus is on Thai ones.

I also recommend Nang Nak and Tale of Two Sisters. 

I hope good sis posts all his favorite Asian films

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, neonnights said:

UGH YES WE DO! I was so pressed that they never came through with the new trilogy that was supposedly planned. Scream 4, while good, was just a bit of a letdown overall. 

Scream 4 was such a great movie tho! The murder of Olivia (that scene in the house where Ghostface plays the closet game) loved it!

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Avalanche said:

Scream 4 was such a great movie tho! The murder of Olivia (that scene in the house where Ghostface plays the closet game) loved it!

That was so brutal omg. 

But I cackled when they shot Jill’s boyfriend in the crotch :whereisit:

and the reveal of who the killers were :wendy28:

not a bad movie by any means, but I think my expectations were too high, so.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, neonnights said:

That was so brutal omg. 

But I cackled when they shot Jill’s boyfriend in the crotch :whereisit:

and the reveal of who the killers were :wendy28:

not a bad movie by any means, but I think my expectations were too high, so.

When I first saw the movie I just knew Jill (Emma Roberts) was the killer lol 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Avalanche said:

When I first saw the movie I just knew Jill (Emma Roberts) was the killer lol 

And she played it so well.

my favorite from the franchise is probably the first. It’s just a classic, and I have it in my iTunes library to watch whenever I’m stuck waiting somewhere. I low key stan the third one, too. Even though it’s extremely messy. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, neonnights said:

And she played it so well.

my favorite from the franchise is probably the first. It’s just a classic, and I have it in my iTunes library to watch whenever I’m stuck waiting somewhere. I low key stan the third one, too. Even though it’s extremely messy. 

The third one is messy, even though it it so, I like all the four films of the Scream movies. If I had to pick a favorite it would be or 4. The first one because it's a classic and the fourth one because it's really a great story and I lowkey stan all the people in the movie. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Avalanche said:

The third one is messy, even though it it so, I like all the four films of the Scream movies. If I had to pick a favorite it would be or 4. The first one because it's a classic and the fourth one because it's really a great story and I lowkey stan all the people in the movie. 

I wish Parker Posey’s character from the third would’ve survived. They did her so dirty. :demicry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, aahfeekiee said:

 

@jujubae is pretty on the ball with Asian horror, I think they've watched a lot of the horror films I have, although my focus is on Thai ones.

I also recommend Nang Nak and Tale of Two Sisters. 

I hope good sis posts all his favorite Asian films

Tale of Two Sisters is one of my, if not, my favorite K-Horror film. I'll literally never forget that movie.

Some of my personal favorites (they range from horror to thriller to psychological character study):

The Ju-On series (specifically Ju-On II) and the Ringu series (I love Ringu 0, although it's been panned)
Acacia (BEAUTIFUL movie. Watch it if you haven't!)
Marebito (this one just sticks with you)
Audition (a classic)
Dumplings, and the anthology it came from, Three... Extremes
Yogen (so much better in its original form, as opposed to the remake)
Battle Royale (a classic)
Noroi (another classic, but found footage! A must-see)
Vital (whew....)
The Heirloom (a beautifully done film)
The Isle
Spider Forest
Dark Water
Rinne

the Whispering Corridors series
Cinderella 

I could go on and on but this is a start :laughcry:

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×