neonnights

Horror Movies Discussion Thread

9 hours ago, Blue Sunshine said:

I wish they would add some at least halfway decent ones to Netflix. All these newest ones I've watched are blah at best.

I'm so bored with it.

I'm just gonna sit here and continue to watch SCP videos on YouTube. At least they're enjoyable.

??? SCP? 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Roobz said:

??? SCP? 

The SCP Foundation is this ongoing work of collective fiction (I guess would be a good name for it) wrapped around a government agency who's sole purpose is to protect the world from strange anomalies hiding in plain sight. 

SCP stands for Special Containment Procedure, but it also is a nod to their unofficial motto ... Secure. Contain. Protect.

It's basically hundreds of stories, written up as declassified government documents/experiments outlining creatures, natural phenomenon, alien species .... all kinds of stuff. The stories are so well written, I personally love the format, and some them really are creepy af. There are bunches of SCP narration and explanation channels on YT. My faves are The Volgun, SCP Illustrated, and The Exploring Series. There's also an entire Wiki dedicated to the Foundation:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/

The first one I discovered was SCP-173, The Statue. It's still one of my faves along with Builder Bear, The Plague Doctor, and The Flesh That Hates.

• Love 1

Did any of y'all watch the one on Hulu, Mom and Dad? I finally broke down and watched it last night ... it was bad, but in an entertaining kinda way IMO. Nicholas Cage really does just make anything borderline hilarious without trying just bc his acting is so over the top. 

The plot is ridiculous and it's left wide open ... so the movie definitely has a lot of flaws, but it was better than some of the others I've watched as of late.

Also, the next installment of Into the Dark, Down, premieres tonight. I'm probably gonna watch it when it does.

• Upvote 1

I watched Final Destination in full for the first time in maybe 15 years today, and here are my thoughts I had during and after. 

1. The opening airplane crash sequence is still AMAZING. That scene is THE reason I had a fear of flying for years. It’s still so good and unsettling. I love it.
  2. Sean William Scott used to be HOT. He still might be - I haven’t seen a recent photo of him. But this was like his peak hotness. I would let early aughts Sean William Scott degrade me however he pleased. :beyslay:
  3. Tod’s death is frustratingly unrealistic. I mean, this entire movie is unrealistic (in a good way), but strangled to death by that wire just doesn’t seem as believable as it did years ago. I could not watch it without complaining a tad about the ridiculousness of it. 
  4. A lot of it is SO DATED. The computers, the electronics (there’s a tape player!), AND THE CLOTHING STYLES - I forgot how casual everything used to be. Not every outfit needed to be an OUTFIT if that makes sense. 
  5. The teacher lady is kind of a rude bitch. I don’t necessarily feel bad when she dies like I do the others, and I’m kind of glad she doesn’t make it to the end. I - :beautyisatalent:
  6. Sean William Scott used to be hot
  7. SEAN WILLIAM SCOTT USED TO BE HOT
  8. undefined :) 
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, neonnights said:

I watched Final Destination in full for the first time in maybe 15 years today, and here are my thoughts I had during and after. 

1. The opening airplane crash sequence is still AMAZING. That scene is THE reason I had a fear of flying for years. It’s still so good and unsettling. I love it.
  2. Sean William Scott used to be HOT. He still might be - I haven’t seen a recent photo of him. But this was like his peak hotness. I would let early aughts Sean William Scott degrade me however he pleased. :beyslay:
  3. Tod’s death is frustratingly unrealistic. I mean, this entire movie is unrealistic (in a good way), but strangled to death by that wire just doesn’t seem as believable as it did years ago. I could not watch it without complaining a tad about the ridiculousness of it. 
  4. A lot of it is SO DATED. The computers, the electronics (there’s a tape player!), AND THE CLOTHING STYLES - I forgot how casual everything used to be. Not every outfit needed to be an OUTFIT if that makes sense. 
  5. The teacher lady is kind of a rude bitch. I don’t necessarily feel bad when she dies like I do the others, and I’m kind of glad she doesn’t make it to the end. I - :beautyisatalent:
  6. Sean William Scott used to be hot
  7. SEAN WILLIAM SCOTT USED TO BE HOT
  8. undefined :) 

I noticed yesterday the added the first three to Netflix. I wanna watch 'em again myself ... it's been a long time.

Ugh, I love that plane crash scene ... that shit was scary on some real ass levels. Not like movie shit, like this could happen irl shit. A lot of the things that happen throughout the franchise get me bc of that ... like, they could literally happen. For example, anytime I would be on the highway behind a big truck transporting logs or rebar or something I would have a "final destination moment" as I lovingly call them when I would just imagine something flying off the truck and colliding through the windshield. Fucked up!

I agree with you about everything you said basically lol. SWS was pretty sexy, I haven't seen him in a good hot minute tho so idk what he's looking like now. Dude, that whole scene with Tod was kinda super lame. It was so over the top. And yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one who disliked that teacher bitch! 

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, Blue Sunshine said:

I noticed yesterday the added the first three to Netflix. I wanna watch 'em again myself ... it's been a long time.

Ugh, I love that plane crash scene ... that shit was scary on some real ass levels. Not like movie shit, like this could happen irl shit. A lot of the things that happen throughout the franchise get me bc of that ... like, they could literally happen. For example, anytime I would be on the highway behind a big truck transporting logs or rebar or something I would have a "final destination moment" as I lovingly call them when I would just imagine something flying off the truck and colliding through the windshield. Fucked up!

I agree with you about everything you said basically lol. SWS was pretty sexy, I haven't seen him in a good hot minute tho so idk what he's looking like now. Dude, that whole scene with Tod was kinda super lame. It was so over the top. And yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one who disliked that teacher bitch! 

Oh yeah. The plane scene had me terrified for years! I would get anxious just going to the airport to drop off family members when I was a kid. But that’s what makes it so good! Some of the other stuff in the movie too. Like, getting your seatbelt snagged in a crisis moment (like when the train is coming toward them) and tugging at it harder instead of trying to slip out from it. I always think if I could think clearly in a situation like that, because it’s always the overreacting that makes your actions worse and the issue harder. 

I started the second one, but I’ll finish it tomorrow. The third, I used to love, but I feel it doesn’t hold up as well as it once did. We’ll have to see, and I’ll report back with my thoughts. :gemma: And I don’t speak of the fourth and fifth. Those are pretty awful sequels IMO. 

And off topic, YES. Sean William Scott was one of my first celebrity crushes. I was a full time stan after seeing the American Pie movies.

undefined

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, neonnights said:

Oh yeah. The plane scene had me terrified for years! I would get anxious just going to the airport to drop off family members when I was a kid. But that’s what makes it so good! Some of the other stuff in the movie too. Like, getting your seatbelt snagged in a crisis moment (like when the train is coming toward them) and tugging at it harder instead of trying to slip out from it. I always think if I could think clearly in a situation like that, because it’s always the overreacting that makes your actions worse and the issue harder. 

I started the second one, but I’ll finish it tomorrow. The third, I used to love, but I feel it doesn’t hold up as well as it once did. We’ll have to see, and I’ll report back with my thoughts. :gemma: And I don’t speak of the fourth and fifth. Those are pretty awful sequels IMO. 

And off topic, YES. Sean William Scott was one of my first celebrity crushes. I was a full time stan after seeing the American Pie movies.

undefined

Absolutely agree, the deep underlying fear in knowing something like that can happen at any time ... it makes it that much more intense and frightening to watch. I think about that too sometimes ... like, I tell myself I could be calm and rational in a crisis situation, but I know I'm kidding myself bc I would go full blown panic mode instantly.

I feel the same way ... the original is great, always will be. The second and third ones are okay ... but everything after that is just like "what're y'all doing? STOP!" So bad. It's basically the exact same way I feel about the Hellraiser franchise. A slow moving, ever growing fucking trainwreck! And it all started out so perfectly ...

I love him in the American Pie series ... Stiffler was something else! Gah ... I remember when he and Justin hosted the MTV movie awards together ... I was like, Um YES PLEASE lol.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aerials said:

what do y'all think of this???

I dunno, I'm still on the fence about it. I wanna see it, but at the same time I don't. I'm not saying the original was some masterpiece of horror cinema or anything ... but I just don't think it needed to be remade. Reboots always end up annoying tf outta me.

On 2/10/2019 at 4:34 AM, Blue Sunshine said:

I dunno, I'm still on the fence about it. I wanna see it, but at the same time I don't. I'm not saying the original was some masterpiece of horror cinema or anything ... but I just don't think it needed to be remade. Reboots always end up annoying tf outta me.

no i agree, i wasn't a fan of the original but i did like the chucky movies that followed... not for horror but for their comedy. i'm just kinda over everything being remade, not that i didn't love the it remake or a couple other remakes. i just wish we had more original horror rather than the reboots.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, aerials said:

no i agree, i wasn't a fan of the original but i did like the chucky movies that followed... not for horror but for their comedy. i'm just kinda over everything being remade, not that i didn't love the it remake or a couple other remakes. i just wish we had more original horror rather than the reboots.

Yes, the best part of the Child's Play/Chucky franchise was the underlying comedic element they all fully embraced. I just don't see that being matched. In all honesty I'd rather have a sequel to Cult of Chucky at this point than a reboot. Same, it feel like horror is nothing but bad reboots lately and that's so boring. I do agree about IT, that one was really good and I am looking forward to Chapter 2. But yes, definitely over the remake craze.

On 2/10/2019 at 2:12 AM, Blue Sunshine said:

Absolutely agree, the deep underlying fear in knowing something like that can happen at any time ... it makes it that much more intense and frightening to watch. I think about that too sometimes ... like, I tell myself I could be calm and rational in a crisis situation, but I know I'm kidding myself bc I would go full blown panic mode instantly.

I feel the same way ... the original is great, always will be. The second and third ones are okay ... but everything after that is just like "what're y'all doing? STOP!" So bad. It's basically the exact same way I feel about the Hellraiser franchise. A slow moving, ever growing fucking trainwreck! And it all started out so perfectly ...

I love him in the American Pie series ... Stiffler was something else! Gah ... I remember when he and Justin hosted the MTV movie awards together ... I was like, Um YES PLEASE lol.

OMG, I loved the American Pie trilogy. My fave was definitely American Wedding. I watched it A LOT. 

On 2/10/2019 at 2:26 AM, aerials said:

what do y'all think of this???

It looks surprisingly well done, but I hope it’s a stand-alone remake. The original franchise has only stood the test of time because of the embraced campiness I feel and it feels very of its time. I could not see a Chucky franchise succeeding very much in this day and age. 

• Upvote 2

I finished the new Halloween and EHHHH. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t very good either. The kills were interesting (a head was squashed to death), but the entire movie just seemed half baked. I mean, the characters are all assholes save for the granddaughter whose personality is non-existent so it’s hard to even want anyone to live and characters are introduced with side plots but then suddenly just die, which seems sort of anti-climactic. 

Aside from the gore, it’s kind of dumb. I wish I gotten the new Predator movie with Olivia Munn instead. 

• Upvote 1

I managed to watch Halloween 4 yesterday on Shudder, and it was so much better than I remember it being (and honestly better than Halloween 2018 :kelly:). It isn’t perfect - it’s a bit too 80s (video vixen girl with the big hair, station wagons, big knit jumpers). But it was so enjoyable! The girl getting impaled with a shotgun was a serve. 

I wish Halloween 6 was on Shudder. It was on Netflix years ago, and I don’t remember too much other than there’s a weird cult and Paul Rudd is in it. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, neonnights said:

I managed to watch Halloween 4 yesterday on Shudder, and it was so much better than I remember it being (and honestly better than Halloween 2018 :kelly:). It isn’t perfect - it’s a bit too 80s (video vixen girl with the big hair, station wagons, big knit jumpers). But it was so enjoyable! The girl getting impaled with a shotgun was a serve. 

I wish Halloween 6 was on Shudder. It was on Netflix years ago, and I don’t remember too much other than there’s a weird cult and Paul Rudd is in it. 

I like Halloween 4 for what it is. It's very 80s, but all in all it's good. It's actually one of my faves in the franchise.

Halloween 6 made me mad af bc they cast that other girl to play Jamie instead of Danielle Harris. From what I remember, it's been years since I've seen it, it's not good. It has like a dumb storyline with the cult thing. But, Paul Rudd in his debut film role made it worth the watch for me. 

• Upvote 1

Watched the first Resident Evil on Shudder and WOW. It’s definitely not as enjoyable as I remembered it being. It’s the best of the franchise for sure as the rest of the movie adaptions are GARBAGE, but this definitely isn’t anything to write home about either.

I’ve never watched it in full as an adult, so the flaws are more apparent. The dialogue is so campy and the acting is so stiff and cliche and there really is no clear plot. The only good thing about it is Eric Mabius. :rly: 

I like the little references to the games, though. 

• Upvote 1

Looks like there are gonna be some good Horror/Psychological Thrillers this year!

I'm most looking forward to Jordan Peele's follow up film Us after the success of Get Out plus he will be producing/directing The Twilight Zone. The lane he has created for himself is very impressive! 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, neonnights said:

Watched the first Resident Evil on Shudder and WOW. It’s definitely not as enjoyable as I remembered it being. It’s the best of the franchise for sure as the rest of the movie adaptions are GARBAGE, but this definitely isn’t anything to write home about either.

I’ve never watched it in full as an adult, so the flaws are more apparent. The dialogue is so campy and the acting is so stiff and cliche and there really is no clear plot. The only good thing about it is Eric Mabius. :rly: 

I like the little references to the games, though. 

I've always liked the RE films ... but I know a lot of me being able to enjoy them stems from the fact that I have zero knowledge of the games. Same with Silent Hill. Love the movie, just the first one ... the others are trash, but IDK a damn thing about that game. 

I agree with you, RE is very campy in a way and poorly written really. But I ain't gonna lie, I watch it from time to time if it's on. And like you said, Eric Mabius is a plus.

• Upvote 1