Sign in to follow this  
Treacherous Lovatic

A Black Yale student fell asleep in common area and a white student called police

A white woman called police after finding a fellow graduate student, who is black, asleep in a common area of their Yale University campus dormitory.

Lolade Siyonbola, who is studying for a master’s degree in African studies, was asked for identification even after she used her key to unlock her bedroom during the encounter with three officers. The woman who reported her said she had found an “unauthorised person in the common room”, according to university authorities quoted by The New York Times.Ms Siyonbola posted two videos of Monday’s encounter on her Facebook page, including part of a conversation with the white student who told her she was calling police after finding her on a sofa in the room at Yale’s hall of graduate studies on the New Haven campus.

After questioning Ms Siyonbola for more than 15 minutes, police confirmed she was a Yale student who lived in the building and then left. Police told her the confrontation was prolonged because her name was not spelled correctly in a database of student information.

I deserve to be here,” she said in the video. “I paid tuition like everybody else. I am not going to justify my existence here. It’s not even a conversation.”In one of the clips, an officer told Ms Siyonbola: “We determine who is allowed to be here or who’s not allowed to be here, regardless of whether you feel you’re allowed to be here or not.”

The encounter followed several high-profile instances of police being called to confront people of colour in seemingly innocuous situations, including in coffee shops, a golf course and an Airbnb flat. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/yale-student-black-police-white-sleep-common-room-lolade-siyonbola-a8344536.html

What the fuck.

Aboustely unacceptable. 

When i was in college. People would literally pull all nighters till like 6 am or take naps while relaxing in the common areas of dorm. This is ridiculous and I hope the officers and the student who made the comment are reprimanded and recivie some form of racial sensitivity training. 

Just now, AALIYAH DANA said:

When i was in college. People would literally pull all nighters till like 6 am or take naps while relaxing in the common areas of dorm. This is ridiculous and I hope the officers and the student who made the comment are reprimanded and recivie some form of racial sensitivity training. 

Tea. They also wasted the polices time. They  certainly should face some sort of consequence.