Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
badgallaura

Question About Streaming

Recommended Posts

So most of us know that 1500 streams = 10 singles sold (or 1 album copy) by the RIAA. I am confused by one thing, however. For the USA, -only- US streams/views count towards Billboard AND the RIAA? I thought that's the obvious thing, but the amount of views and streams on YouTube and Spotify and others from a certain country aren't specified, so I automatically think that Billboard and the RIAA simply count all streams and views.

Unless Youtube/Spotify/Pandora/Tidal/Whatever else there is give their records to the RIAA for certifications and Billboard for charting, I am confused on the amount of streams/views those two count. I never heard them state they get the records from these websites, they only said "streams from Youtube bla bla count as sales". It also seems weird to me that the RIAA and Billboard would bother spending money for such records, as I doubt they're free.

Anyways, does anybody knows if they count all the streams/views or just the USA ones? And if it's the latter, how do they obtain the records? Payment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, badgallaura said:

So most of us know that 1500 streams = 10 singles sold (or 1 album copy) by the RIAA. I am confused by one thing, however. For the USA, -only- US streams/views count towards Billboard AND the RIAA? I thought that's the obvious thing, but the amount of views and streams on YouTube and Spotify and others from a certain country aren't specified, so I automatically think that Billboard and the RIAA simply count all streams and views.

Unless Youtube/Spotify/Pandora/Tidal/Whatever else there is gives their records to the RIAA for certifications and Billboard for charting, I am confused on the amount of streams/views those two count. I never heard them state they get the records from these websites, they only said "streams from Youtube bla bla count as sales". It also seems weird to me why would the RIAA and Billboard bother spending money for such records, as I doubt they're free.

Anyways, does anybody knows if they count all the streams/views or just the USA ones? And if it's the latter, how do they obtain the records? Payment?

just the USA! and I have no idea tbh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, badgallaura said:

Who knowwws how do they get their records?

Every YouTube account can visit an analytics page that shows all of their statistics. There's a part of it that shows how many views you got in certain countries so I assume that Billboard and the RIAA would be sent those analytics by YouTube and they'd use it for the charts/certifications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nicki Minaj said:

Every YouTube account can visit an analytics page that shows all of their statistics. There's a part of it that shows how many views you got in certain countries so I assume that Billboard and the RIAA would be sent those analytics by YouTube and they'd use it for the charts/certifications.

The only issue I have with this fact is that I doubt if it's free. It's a very easy and an inexpensive task, but I don't think Google would simply give it away for 5$. Like, the RIAA gets paid for their certifications; paying for Youtube to give them the views would minimize profit, unless the artist pays for that as well.

It would seem somewhat difficult for the RIAA or Billboard to simply accept screenshots from RihannaVEVO for example, as screenshots can be easily faked, unless they give the RIAA/Billboard their passwords heh. 

 

And those are some of the theories for Youtube, there remains Spotify, Pandora, etc. etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, badgallaura said:

The only issue I have with this fact is that I doubt if it's free. It's a very easy and an inexpensive task, but I don't think Google would simply give it away for 5$. Like, the RIAA gets paid for their certifications; paying for Youtube to give them the views would minimize profit, unless the artist pays for that as well.

It would seem somewhat difficult for the RIAA or Billboard to simply accept screenshots from RihannaVEVO for example, as screenshots can be easily faked, unless they give the RIAA/Billboard their passwords heh. 

 

And those are some of the theories for Youtube, there remains Spotify, Pandora, etc. etc.

There has to be some sort of automated system that can access streaming info on all official platforms. I'm pretty sure that an official platform (such as YouTube) has to form an affiliation with Billboard in order to get their statistics used that might even involve them paying Billboard. I remember when The Life of Pablo came out and it didn't chart because Tidal streaming didn't go towards Billboard at the time so I guess they were uncertified and had to contact Billboard themselves to get their stats so I doubt the RIAA or Billboard are paying to see these stats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nicki Minaj said:

There has to be some sort of automated system that can access streaming info on all official platforms. I'm pretty sure that an official platform (such as YouTube) has to form an affiliation with Billboard in order to get their statistics used that might even involve them paying Billboard. I remember when The Life of Pablo came out and it didn't chart because Tidal streaming didn't go towards Billboard at the time so I guess they were uncertified and had to contact Billboard themselves to get their stats so I doubt the RIAA or Billboard are paying to see these stats.

Makes sense. That actually sounds pretty logical. However, I'm unsure how Youtube would actually benefit from such a thing, but who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, badgallaura said:

Makes sense. That actually sounds pretty logical. However, I'm unsure how Youtube would actually benefit from such a thing, but who knows.

Same tbh, since Billboard doesn't really specify which streams come from where.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2017 at 2:02 AM, badgallaura said:

So most of us know that 1500 streams = 10 singles sold (or 1 album copy) by the RIAA. I am confused by one thing, however. For the USA, -only- US streams/views count towards Billboard AND the RIAA? I thought that's the obvious thing, but the amount of views and streams on YouTube and Spotify and others from a certain country aren't specified, so I automatically think that Billboard and the RIAA simply count all streams and views.

Unless Youtube/Spotify/Pandora/Tidal/Whatever else there is give their records to the RIAA for certifications and Billboard for charting, I am confused on the amount of streams/views those two count. I never heard them state they get the records from these websites, they only said "streams from Youtube bla bla count as sales". It also seems weird to me that the RIAA and Billboard would bother spending money for such records, as I doubt they're free.

Anyways, does anybody knows if they count all the streams/views or just the USA ones? And if it's the latter, how do they obtain the records? Payment?

This rule is different everywhere. I know the streams the catch in the US is YouTube,Spotify,Pandora,Apple Music and maybe Tidal (not sure about that). I know in the UK we track them by Spotify and YouTube and just now the rule has changed that 300 streams = 1 sale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MusicCharts said:

This rule is different everywhere. I know the streams the catch in the US is YouTube,Spotify,Pandora,Apple Music and maybe Tidal (not sure about that). I know in the UK we track them by Spotify and YouTube and just now the rule has changed that 300 streams = 1 sale

Do we know how Billboard and other certifying companies such as the BPI and RIAA get the amount of views/streams from Pandora/Youtube/spotify?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MusicCharts said:

Well they are given them by companies but try these sites:

http://kworb.net/

https://spotifycharts.com/regional (see if this works, it is down atm)

Interesting. Do we know what these companies take in return? I don't understand why would they bother wanting these data if there's a monetary loss for them, which to me seems most likely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MusicCharts said:

I think people like Spotify have deals with charts like Billboard to supply data, whether it would be for promotion or an actual payment

I'll assume it's monetary for the RIAA and such, as I can't see certification websites doing promotion heh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×