Blue Sunshine

Rock Music General Discussion

In the style of it's predecessors (R&B, Alt, Metal, Country), starting a thread for the rock fans on COP to discuss their fave rock acts/songs/etc. Share videos, opinions, whatever ... ya'll know how this goes. 

• Upvote 4

The reason for making this one is bc I'm not huge into metal, I only know a few here and there, but I'm such a lover of rock bands and I'm hoping there are other fans here who feel the same.

Some of my faves include:

Blue October (obviously), Evanescence, Halestorm, Imagine Dragons, Daughtry ... 

That's just what's on my phone.

Also love Linkin Park, Godsmack, Disturbed ... (Godsmack and Disturbed do some of the absolute best covers in music, along with Halestorm.)

• Upvote 1

Do you stan Deftones? Chino Moreno has the most beautiful male voice i've ever heard, they're like my favorite rock band, and their lyrics are really abstract, I love trying to decipher what he's talking about. In the album 'Diamond Eyes' a lot of the lyrics obviously deal with the grief of their former bassist's passing, it's my favorite album of theirs and I recommend it to fans of rock, psychedelic, ambient music, it's all there. It can be beautifully soft at times and straight up heavy in other parts. A really cool experimental record all in all

My favorite songs:

• Upvote 1

Just now, barbiej33p said:

Do you stan Deftones? Chino Moreno has the most beautiful male voice i've ever heard, they're like my favorite rock band, and their lyrics are really abstract, I love trying to decipher what he's talking about. In the album 'Diamond Eyes' a lot of the lyrics obviously deal with the grief of their former bassist's passing, it's my favorite album of theirs and I recommend it to fans of rock, psychedelic, ambient music, it's all there. It can be beautifully soft at times and straight up heavy in other parts. A really cool experimental record all in all

My favorite songs:

deftones?

sis i thought you had taste what happened 

Just now, shmeur said:

deftones?

sis i thought you had taste what happened 

lol deftones redefine music miss me with that bullshit

Just now, Heartbeat said:

The reason for making this one is bc I'm not huge into metal, I only know a few here and there, but I'm such a lover of rock bands and I'm hoping there are other fans here who feel the same.

Some of my faves include:

Blue October (obviously), Evanescence, Halestorm, Imagine Dragons, Daughtry ... 

That's just what's on my phone.

Also love Linkin Park, Godsmack, Disturbed ... (Godsmack and Disturbed do some of the absolute best covers in music, along with Halestorm.)

I love the Disturbed cover of The Sound Of Silence, beautiful track!

I like Godsmack's crying like a bitch :)

Rock bands I like are: Linkin Park, Bastille, Scars On Broadway, P.O.D., Black Sabbath, Green Day, Limp Bizkit

There are more I like but that fall closer to the metal side of things

• Upvote 1

@barbiej33p I've actually never given Deftones a proper listen. I've heard a couple of songs in the past, I do remember liking the style and vocals. I'm gonna give those two vids you posted a good listen.

Thanks for recommending them :)

@Moist Mahomie Disturbed's cover of SoS is one of the most haunting tracks I've ever heard. Seriously, one of the best covers in music history IMO. I also love their covers of Land of Confusion and Shout.

I haven't heard P.O.D. or Limp Bizkit in a long ass time! I needa look up some of their music too ... give it another go. I was big into Limp Bizkit when they first came out.

• Upvote 3

Gonna ramble for a bit ...

I honestly think that the rock genre has given us some of the most unique and talented vocalists that there have ever been. I was just listening to STP, 

and I have always been just enamored by just how smooth Scott's voice is. The man had something special in those vocals. His flow, his delivery ... just beautiful IMO.

Same goes for Chris Cornell, that man's voice is beyond comprehension to me. The highs, the lows, the control ... that voice was a gift.

I'd also say greats like Eddie Vedder (I know TOTD/PJ isn't everyone's cup of tea but I love Eddie's voice), are one in a million. 

I'd give props to like Justin Furstenfeld (Blue October/Harvard of the South), Rob Thomas (MB20), Marc Roberge (O.A.R.), Henry Garza (Los Lonely Boys) ... all very unique vocally and among some of my favorite male voices. 

I listen to a lot of what's considered the "alt-rock" genre from the 90s and so on.

And then there's the classic rock giants like Brad Delp (Boston), Paul Rogers (Free/Bad Company), Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin), Roger Waters (Pink Floyd), Levon Helm (The Band), Don Henley/Glen Frey (The Eagles), John Foggerty (Creedence Clearwater Revival) just to name a very few. Sir Elton John falls into this category for me as well, tho most would probably consider him more "soft rock" but whatever ...

And lemme just say that Lzzy Hale (Halestorm) is one of the best female vocalists in the game! If y'all haven't heard this chick you need to! She throws down, and she's just as damn good live as she is on the studio tracks. 

Okay, done rambling for tonight ...

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tom said:

I've been listening to music from a band called Shinedown recently, I didn't know of them until recently but I like them. Their music is hard/alt rock. I like it.

i saw them live about 12 years ago lol