Sign in to follow this  
Drewbby

COP Film Reviews

Love-Simon.jpg

Within the last few years of my life, I've watched plenty of movies with gay protagonists. Movies like Moonlight and Call Me By Your Name took my breath away, GBF was downright offensive, Weekend & Brokeback Mountain broke my heart. Love, Simon gets placed in a category that none of the other films could: A Soft Rom-Com. This movie hit so many things so perfectly. It captured what it's like being in the closet so brilliantly. As well as the heartache of what it's like to love someone but not feel ready to confess to them because of the secret you've grown so accustomed to keeping. There's laugh out loud moments, moments that'll make you cheer with pride, heartwrenching moments, and some of a perfect amount of sheer beauty.

I've used the word beautiful a lot in this, because that's the best way to describe this movie. I can tell that this movie is going to help a lot of younger teens that are still trying to figure out they're sexuality. It might be one of the most special things about it! It's literal history in the making. I wish i could turn back time and show this to my 14 year old self.

5/5 Stars.

• Upvote 7

florida_project.jpg

For my first review on COP i am going to be starting off with one of, if not the best movies of 2017, The Florida Project. Directed by acclaimed director Sean Baker. It is a beautiful representation of the struggles of the 'invisible homeless' living in holiday motels in Florida just outside Disney (Fun fact: Disney's codename before being built in Florida was The Florida Project) This movie is a love letter to childhood and will make you laugh and cry (omg the tears) I'm not going to spoil anymore of the story because simply everyone needs to watch this film. The acting is superb and stars Willem Dafoe in his best performance ever in my opinion. This movie was completely snubbed by the Academy this year and should've easily picked up a nomination for Best Picture and Director. Do yourself a favor and watch this movie. It is honestly my favorite movie of all time.

5/5

• Upvote 5

Just now, Believe In Furler said:

florida_project.jpg

For my first review on COP i am going to be starting off with one of, if not the best movies of 2017, The Florida Project. Directed by acclaimed director Sean Baker It is a beautiful representation of the struggles of the 'invisible homeless' living in holiday motels in Florida just outside Disney (Fun fact: Disney's codename before being built in Florida was The Florida Project) The story follows Moonee a young girl and her mother Halley. I'm not going to spoil anymore of the story because simply everyone needs to watch this film. The acting is superb and stars Willem Dafoe in his best performance ever in my opinion. This movie was completely snubbed by the Academy this year and should've easily picked up a nomination for Best Picture and Director. Do yourself a favor and watch this movie. It is honestly my favorite movie of all time.

5/5

I literally went to four different stores this morning looking for the blu-ray of this movie, only to find out that the Best Buy by my work has it. I'm picking it up after work tomorrow and I'm beyond excited. It's one of the last movies I need to watch before the Oscars this year!

• Upvote 1

florida_project.jpg

For my first review on COP i am going to be starting off with one of, if not the best movies of 2017, The Florida Project. Directed by acclaimed director Sean Baker. It is a beautiful representation of the struggles of the 'invisible homeless' living in holiday motels in Florida just outside Disney (Fun fact: Disney's codename before being built in Florida was The Florida Project) This movie is a love letter to childhood and will make you laugh and cry (omg the tears) I'm not going to spoil anymore of the story because simply everyone needs to watch this film. The acting is superb and stars Willem Dafoe in his best performance ever in my opinion. This movie was completely snubbed by the Academy this year and should've easily picked up a nomination for Best Picture and Director. Do yourself a favor and watch this movie. It is honestly my favorite movie of all time.

5/5

You convinced me to give this a chance, I knew nothing about it till now but it sounds great!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Drewbby said:

I literally went to four different stores this morning looking for the blu-ray of this movie, only to find out that the Best Buy by my work has it. I'm picking it up after work tomorrow and I'm beyond excited. It's one of the last movies I need to watch before the Oscars this year!

The bluray only came out today in America! Honestly, it's a piece of art. I really hope you enjoy it

• Upvote 1

Yaas, i will legit be the only person using this thread but this is awesome! I posted a status just the other day about doing film reviews - Maybe one day we could get a dedicated subforum in cop critic or something. I'll be sure to post soon!

I'd be here for it :wendyw: I don't do movie reviews but it sounds good  :interesting:

• Upvote 3

large_ritual-poser.jpg

Going into The Ritual (Available on Netflix) I had low expectations solely because the film contains zero female protagonists. I have trouble rooting for men in film solely because I don't feel much remorse or care for male characters in film, yeah I tend to make exceptions for well written male characters, but the appeal just isn't there to me, I want a queen to root for, which is why horror is a huge genre favorite of mine. The countless horror films I watch can make me feel like I've seen it all, but with this film they seemed to capture a simple haunted forest scenario so well made I was completely surprised at how invested I was. First, I was wrong to dismiss this film based on the fact that it revolves around some buddies taking a hiking trip. This movie has so much heart and genuine friendship in it you never feel irritated or annoyed by these men. They are good people who want to go on the trip in memory of their friend who was murdered in a robbery, the main protagonist struggles with this the most since he was a witness to the crime, even letting him die from freezing in fear and not intervening. In the very beginning you can tell he suffers from that day constantly with nightmares and guilt weighing him down, this becomes a very important ark to the story later on but I won't give anything away. Second, the cinematography is gorgeous. The men start out on a regular hike that captures nature in a beautiful way despite the gloomy weather, which might I say adds to the dreadfulness this film carries with it. The camera work is beautiful, there is a part in the beginning where two men are conversing by the tents and the way the angles are set up make you feel like you are right in-between them, witnessing the conversation for yourself. This technique continues throughout the movie, you feel like you are following these men through their journey always one step behind, and trust me that doesn't help once shit starts going down. The film starts to get insanely creepy when they decide to try a shortcut to their destination after one of the men sprains their ankle, where is the shortcut you ask? Through the tall, thin trees. The men brush off small unsettling things like finding an animal hung from the trees, gutted open, (this is shown in the trailer for those ready to lynch me for spoilers) foreign letters carved into the trees, and much more before finding an abandoned house to take shelter in after heavy rain starts pouring. From then on the movie just gets even scarier, at least for me. The film pulls you in from it's atmosphere, so much that when it ends you forget you are apart of the real world, I had to gather myself together because I was so captivated, and once I did I could tell the difference from the dreadful world the movie takes place in to the real one, that's how unsettling the vibe from this movie is. So what exactly happens? Well lots of things, theres something stalking them in the woods at first. And you don't see it but you do see movement in the woods if you pay enough attention, things like this make it an exciting yet horrifying watch, you don't know if you are seeing the thing watching them, is it just the trees? Is it your mind playing tricks on you? Or is it staring at you right back? If you have phobia's of the unknown and/or darkness then this film will likely trigger fear if not uneasiness. The first half of the movie plays out like a supernatural mystery horror but then transitions into an entertaining creature feature when they finally reveal what is following the men. Most reveal's in horror tend to diminish any sort of fear or realism and causes the movie to fall flat, but the creature here only makes the film come full circle, you walk in knowing nothing and leave feeling like all your questions are answered, which is rare in any genre of film. Also while were on knowing nothing I recommend going into this movie avoiding any trailers or spoilers, I watched the trailer after the movie and it does not do it justice! I also don't want to dick ride this movie because it does have it's flaws, but for it to impress me as much as it did and for me to actually care about these men is enough for me to look over any of the mishaps. I also did not know how much this movie truly scared me until I got up around 5 am to get something to drink and my dumb ass thought of the shrine you see in the attic of the house they stay in,

the-ritual-2017-2-300x300.jpg

bitch when I tell you I ran back to my room :byefatty:

So yes, make time for The Ritual, please don't be on your phone while watching it because you WILL miss important parts (I tried watching it again with my friends and it wasn't the same, you have to actually sit down and watch it) don't read up on it too much, and watch it with the lights off :byefatty:

5/5

so far best horror of 2018, what's gonna beat it?

• Upvote 4

Just now, Drewbby said:

@barbiej33p i had literally never heard of this movie, but after this I am DEFINITELY going to check out. I absolutely love horror movies & I'm actually disappointed in myself for not knowing about this movie. This is a fantastic review by the way!

Thanks! Let me know if you enjoy it! I plan on doing another review later for The Tragedy Girls :) 

• Upvote 1

Lady_Bird_poster.jpeg

This is the most recent movie I've seen in theatres so I am giving my thoughts.

Lady Bird is the story of a girl named Christine who prefers to be called by "Lady Bird" and the relationships she has with her family and other students at the Catholic School she attends. The acting in this movie is fantastic. Saoirse Ronan somehow seems like an actual teenager and not an adult pretending to be one. Laurie Metcalf is very believable as the mother who is struggling financially and with raising her children. The screenplay is also a highlight and some of the lines hit your funny bone or heart strings. There are several emotional moments that make you feel sad but I can't say because spoilers. I do wish the movie had a bit more plot or had something that held the movie together more as a few scenes felt a bit abrupt. However it still mostly it works.

4/5

• Upvote 6

florida_project.jpg

5/5

I have a coupon for a free movie rental at Redbox :jan1:

I wasn't going to rent it but didn't end up doing it but I'll try to watch it by the end of this week  :jan1:

• Upvote 1

Just now, Maren Swift said:

Lady_Bird_poster.jpeg

Lady Bird is the story of a girl named Christine who prefers to be called by "Lady Bird" and the relationships she has with her family and other students at the Catholic School she attends. The acting in this movie is fantastic. Saoirse Ronan somehow seems like an actual teenager and not an adult pretending to be one. Laurie Metcalf is very believable as the mother who is struggling financially and with raising her children. The screenplay is also a highlight and some of the lines hit your funny bone or heart strings. There are several emotional moments that make you feel sad but I can't say because spoilers. I do wish the movie had a bit more plot or had something that held the movie together more as a few scenes felt a bit abrupt. However it still mostly it works.

4/5

Agree 100% !! I would have loved more scenes with the mother, I felt like we were supposed to understand their complicated love for eachother through the scenes they argue in but I could have used more of them

• Upvote 1

Just now, barbiej33p said:

Agree 100% !! I would have loved more scenes with the mother, I felt like we were supposed to understand their complicated love for eachother through the scenes they argue in but I could have used more of them

Yes! It could have been a bit longer. It was only 90 minutes so it had room to add a few more scenes. :tayincourt:

• Upvote 1

Just now, Maren Swift said:

Lady_Bird_poster.jpeg

4/5

Ugh. What a great movie, i loved the pacing and the length of the film was perfect. 

• Upvote 3