vendettaswift

What is Nielsen Music?

Okay I'm sure we all know that Nielsen Music is where Billboard music gets all their numbers from for their charts, but one thing that I noticed is that no one seems to question it. We've all just accepted Nielsen SoundScan as the God of the Hot 100. But really, Nielsen Music is shrouded in mystery. No one knows how exactly they get their numbers. They've always been really private about their relationship with Billboard. And probably the weirdest thing of all, they don't seem to publish their statistics anywhere, even though that's literally the only thing that the music division of Nielsen does. 

I really don't understand them. Why are they so private about their measurements of sales, and why does Billboard seem to be their only partner? Do music artists even know their own SoundScan stats before Billboard publishes them?

Nielsen Music is really fascinating and mysterious company. Anyone have thoughts?

Guest messiah

I use to work for Nielsen (was in the movie department though) like I conducted surveys to movie goers and they’d say what they liked about the trailer and what they didn’t like.

Nielsen is very meticulous but has partners EVERYWHERE!

Just now, ɖʍəəɓʐ said:

I use to work for Nielsen (was in the movie department though) like I conducted surveys to movie goers and they’d say what they liked about the trailer and what they didn’t like.

Nielsen is very meticulous but has partners EVERYWHERE!

Omg were they as secretive as they seem? I just think that's the thing that makes me so wary of them ig

Guest messiah
Just now, vendettaswift said:

Omg were they as secretive as they seem? I just think that's the thing that makes me so wary of them ig

Well thing is there’s no need to be concerned about their information. If you have any contact with major companies like Apple, Spotify, a record company, or even the news, Nielsen will automatically sever ties. They want ZERO outside influence to possible sway whatever information they have. 

If you work for Nielsen you can’t have any of those jobs (including more) for like 5 years before applying for a job.

You are making this harder than it seems. All the stores report to Nielsen their numbers and they verify it. Nielsen is also the ones who mesure TV audiences.