The BIGGEST COmPetition we've ever done! Read more... ×
Move over Eurovision! COPvision is back! Read more... ×

badgallaura

Mrs. Carey's Vocal Lessons

FKrX4kJ.png

Welcome ladies, men, stans, and pseudo-vocalists. Recently, I noticed a lot of people misjudge artists' vocal abilities (whether for better or worse), so I have decided to make a thread to explain some of pop culture's voices in simple details so that everybody can comprehend them. Furthermore, many singers' reviews are written in musical terms that untrained people usually have no idea what they mean; that's why I took it into myself to breakdown and simplify a singer's analysis. I know that many musical terms can be complicated for those who have no prior knowledge in the music field, but have no fear as every time I use a specific term I will put an explanation next to it.  

To help me with this task, I brought the one and only, Mariah Carey lZzLREr.gif

Cowriah here will help me by using her knowledge on vocals to submit brief explanations of singers' capabilities in words everybody can understand 3x3t1G2.gif.

I will be updating this post with the list of singers Mariah and I have showcased every time an analysis is made with a link directing to the post! Moreover, if anyone has a singer in mind that would want me to write a vocal summary on, feel free to message me or post their name in the thread and Mimi and I will take your request into consideration!

Singers Analyzed

Lady Gaga

P!nk

Marina and the Diamonds

Ariana Grande

Ally Brookes

Britney Spears

Beyoncé

Taylor Swift

Miley Cyrus

Jessie J

Demi Lovato

Musical Terminology & Others

Melisma, Runs, & Riffs

The Soprano & its Variations

The Mezzo-Soprano & its Variations

Misclassification: Voice Types

Selena Gomez VS Ariana Grande VS Demi Lovato

Requests:

Lady Gaga [CarlySlayJepsen]

P!nk [P!nk]

Marina and the Diamonds [Sokka] [scorn]

Ariana Grande [Sokka]

Ally Brookes [Dirkje]

Britney Spears [Britney Spears]

Beyoncé [Bleh]

Taylor Swift [XBxVd7v.pnglife13swift]

Miley Cyrus [CyrusStan]

Jessie J [CarlySlayJepsen]

Loreen [Yüyi]

Larynx Position in Singing [SelenaFenty]

Demi Lovato [tragicgabriel]

Zayn Malik [BeyKnowles]

P!nk VS Christina Aguilera VS Lady Gaga [P!nk]

Lana Del Rey VS Lorde [bee]

Leona Lewis [Impossible Prince]

Natalia Kills [Caramel]

Selena Gomez [Trainwreck]

Singers Vocal Ranking:

• Upvote 2

Okay ladies Cowriah herself made this analysis so I thought it's only fair she speaks instead of me: I wrote the analysis and made sure to simplify it so everyone can understand. As an artist myself, I consider Gaga a very good singer; even though she isn't on my level. I don't really know her. 

Without further ado, let's get to it ladies Q9Wt6jg.png.

Lady Gaga Elementary Vocal Analysis

Lady Gaga possess a naturally dark tone that has a big volume output. Her voice type is a mezzo-soprano, the second-highest standard female voice type. To be specific, a Lyric Mezzo Soprano. Most women fall under the category of "Lyric" (which means "light") for your information. When singing, Gaga has proven to have a very good technique that rivals the best singers of our generation, with a wide variety of colors to her voice. Her voice can take several colors (tones; you know, like, various sounds) depending on the way she projects it. 

For a mezzo-soprano, she is expected to be able to project to the note F5 with ease. However, she has the tendency to support only up to the note D5. From the D5 note (which is 587.33Hz) to the F5 note (698.46Hz) there is a note and a semitone in-between, which are Eb5 (pronounced E flat 5) and E5; so it's not a really difficult task to achieve with proper vocal training! Despite that, she can exceed her expected range and project up to G#5 note (which is another 1 note and a semitone higher than an F5 note) from time to time, but that's only on rare occasions; think of them as lucky strikes.

Her lower range is dark and heavy and properly executed most of the time. She can mix her voice (voice mixing is when your chest voice, the part of your voice that you use for talking, is mixed with your head voice* and would resonate at the soft flesh at roof of your mouth) into the soprano range for extended periods of time without vocal fatigue. 

One thing many people speculate is that Lady Gaga is a contralto for her voice type, but a contralto is someone like Cher; a sound that is manly-like, especially in the lower part of one's range. Lady Gaga lacks the androgynous tone to be classified as a contralto, plus, Lady Gaga's tessitura (the part of the voice in which a singer is most comfortable to sing in AND the part their voice shines the most in) lies within the mezzo-soprano range. 

On the flip side, Lady Gaga always projects her sound with nasality, although she has learned how to lessen that somewhat as of recently. Her head voice is rarely used and isn't properly developed like it should. 

While this analysis may make people think "Well, if she doesn't have that much weaknesses, why isn't her voice more critically acclaimed?" And that's because while it's true her downside aspects are few, she lacks superiority in her positive abilities. She doesn't have a spectacular breath support nor anything in her voice is out of the ordinary. Her voice mixing would count above average and her lower notes are above-average too but besides that, she isn't superior; just extra good but not on the levels of the elites such as (Mariah dahhhling) and Aretha Franklin and myself (Mariah dahhling).

*Head voice: The part of your voice in which you achieve your high notes where you feel the sound is resonating in the back of your head; basically when you try to give a much more feminine and high tone to your voice if you're a female. If your're a guy, it's the same sensation in the back of your head but the difference would be your voice sounding lighter and more airy with a slight feminine twang to it. Think of it as the part of your voice in which you achieve a feminine scream that isn't painful nor shrill like usual shrills.

That's all for Lady Gaga, I hope you've enjoyed sweeties, I've got a new billionaire to hunt! MLrc6yJ.gif

25 minutes ago, badgallaura said:

Okay ladies Cowriah herself made this analysis so I thought it's only fair she speaks instead of me: I wrote the analysis and made sure to simplify it so everyone can understand. As an artist myself, I consider Gaga a very good singer; even though she isn't on my level. I don't really know her. 

Without further ado, let's get to it ladies Q9Wt6jg.png.

Lady Gaga Elementary Analysis

Lady Gaga possess a naturally dark tone that has a big volume output. Her voice type is a mezzo-soprano, the second-highest standard female voice type. To be specific, a Lyric Mezzo Soprano. Most women fall under the category of "Lyric" (which means "light") for your information. When singing, Gaga has proven to have a very good technique that rivals the best singers of our generation, with a wide variety of colors to her voice. Her voice can take several colors (tones; you know, like, various sounds) depending on the way she projects it. 

For a mezzo-soprano, she is expected to be able to project to the note F5 with ease. However, she has the tendency to support only up to the note D5. From the D5 note (which is 587.33Hz) to the F5 note (698.46Hz) there is a note and a semitone in-between, which are Eb5 (pronounced E flat 5) and E5; so it's not a really difficult task to achieve with proper vocal training! Despite that, she can exceed her expected range and project up to G#5 note (which is another 1 note and a semitone higher than an F5 note) from time to time, but that's only on rare occasions; think of them as lucky strikes.

Her lower range is dark and heavy and properly executed most of the time. She can mix her voice (voice mixing is when your chest voice, the part of your voice that you use for talking, is mixed with your head voice* and would resonate at the soft flesh at roof of your mouth) into the soprano range for extended periods of time without vocal fatigue. 

One thing many people speculate is that Lady Gaga is a contralto for her voice type, but a contralto is someone like Cher; a sound that is manly-like, especially in the lower part of one's range. Lady Gaga lacks the androgynous tone to be classified as a contralto, plus, Lady Gaga's tessitura (the part of the voice in which a singer is most comfortable to sing in AND the part their voice shines the most in) lies within the mezzo-soprano range. 

On the flip side, Lady Gaga always projects her sound with nasality, although she has learned how to lessen that somewhat as of recently. Her head voice is rarely used and isn't properly developed like it should. 

While this analysis may make people think "Well, if she doesn't have that much weaknesses, why isn't her voice more critically acclaimed?" And that's because while it's true her downside aspects are few, she lacks superiority in her positive abilities. She doesn't have a spectacular breath support nor anything in her voice is out of the ordinary. Her voice mixing would count above average and her lower notes are above-average too but besides that, she isn't superior; just extra good but not on the levels of the elites such as (Mariah dahhhling) and Aretha Franklin and myself (Mariah dahhling).

*Head voice: The part of your voice in which you achieve your high notes where you feel the sound is resonating in the back of your head; basically when you try to give a much more feminine and high tone to your voice if you're a female. If your're a guy, it's the same sensation in the back of your head but the difference would be your voice sounding lighter and more airy with a slight feminine twang to it. Think of it as the part of your voice in which you achieve a feminine scream that isn't painful nor shrill like usual shrills.

That's all for Lady Gaga, I hope you've enjoyed sweeties, I've got a new billionaire to hunt! MLrc6yJ.gif

Did a quick silent edit lol. 

Btw, I'm not ignoring yall's requests; I'll attend to them but I may not do all of them.

Before I move on into another vocal analysis, I'll make a very simple explanation of melismata (plural of melisma), riffs, and runs so everyone can understand what are they.

M e l i s m a

Melisma is singing technique in which you add several notes to a syllable (A - E - O - I - U - Y) of a word while the added notes quickly change the pitch by going lower and higher every time you transition from one added note to another. 

Example #1: Helloooooooowowwuwowouwuow (Hello)

Example #2: Baiaiaiaieieby (Baby)

Example #3: Amsteuheuheuhrdam (Amsterdam)

R i f f s

Riffing is a singing technique in which you repeat the same note you sang without changing the pitch every time a note is added and without your voice breaking between notes. The process should be fast.

Example #1: No-o-o-o-o-o

Example #2: Bye-ī-ī-ī-ī-ī-ī-ī (ī is the voice you hear when you pronounce "ye" in the word "Bye")

Example #3: Love-əv-əv-əv-əv-əv (əv is the voice you hear when you pronounce "ove" in the word "love")

R u n s

Runs are several added notes to a word that quickly change the pitch by going lower and higher every time you transition from one added note to another. 

Example #1: Caaiaianninninnindyyiyi (Candy)

Example #2: Seaaiaiaiairiririrch (Search)

Example #3: Halllililililuuouojauyayauh (Hallelujah)

Most of the time, singers unconsciously sing riffs and runs together and it's rare to find a true riff or a run alone. The difference between melismata and runs is that runs are added notes to more than one letter or syllable of a word while melismata are added notes to only one syllable of the word; while riffs are basically a repetition of the note you sang without changing the pitch.

Let's get right to it noobies. Being the greatest singer alive is a difficult task so I tried to finish this summary quickly iVgMe3n.gif.

P!nk Elementary Vocal Analysis

P!nk is a brilliant singer with a smoky (basically it means has a rasp to it and the voice is considered sexy; Justin Bieber-like tone) and a naturally dark color to her voice. Her vocal type is a Lyric Mezzo-Soprano, the second-highest female singing voice. Her low notes are supported and strong and carry a darker tone than the rest of her voice. When it comes to breathing, P!nk may be only rivaled with very few singers as her breath support is monstrous. P!nk is capable of performing very fast vocal acrobatics (riffs/runs/melismata -- please refer to this post for an explanation of melisma and riffs and runs) as her voice carries a great agility to it; this simply means her jaw muscles are elastic and free and her superior breath support aids in her agility.

P!nk is able to mix her chest voice (talking voice) and head voice (please refer to the bottom of the post for an explanation of head voice) way above her tessitura (the part of the voice in which a singer is most comfortable to sing in AND the part their voice shines the most in) with great technique up to a G5 note. As a mezzo-soprano, she is expected to belt properly up to Eb5 (622.25 Hz), and what's amazing about P!nk's belting is that it's rare for sopranos to even support up to a G5 (783.99 Hz). The notes: Eb5 --> E5 --> F5 --> F#5 --> G5. She is quite capable of hitting an A5 (880.00 Hzbelt, (G5 --> G#5 --> A5) which is a remarkable feature for a mezzo-soprano.

Able to execute emotion through smart usage of her rasp (and without) including cracks without sacrificing a lot of technique in her singing. Overall, P!nk's voice is resonant and rich.

Unfortunately, P!nk's rasp has drawn criticism due to her songs and musical style feeling out of place when matched with her voice. Her falsetto (please refer to the bottom of the post for an explanation of falsetto) and head voice are underdeveloped, with the former being heavily underutilized and lacking proper technique.

*Head Voice: The part of your voice in which you achieve your high notes where you feel the sound is resonating in the back of your head; basically when you try to give a much more feminine and a higher tone to your voice if you're a female. If your're a guy, it's the same sensation in the back of your head but the difference would be your voice sounding lighter and more airy with a slight feminine twang to it (or it can be full rather than airy if you know how to control it.) Think of it as the part of your voice in which you achieve a controlled feminine scream that isn't painful nor shrill like usual yelling.

*Falsetto: A disconnected part of one's voice in which one uses to hit very high notes. It's the part of the man's voice that they use to sound feminine and squeaky. It's basically the part of your voice that sounds different from your usual singing voice and has a squeaky and piercing attribute to it. in simpler words, it's when you're making a really high-pitched sound that usually hurts your throat for a few moments. It is different from the head voice by carrying much more brightness and a louder volume to it due to its piercing quality.

That's it for P!nk's vocal analysis. I really love her as an artist and maybe someday she'll have as much number ones as me nHfG8HW.gif

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, badgallaura said:

Let's get right to it noobies. Being the greatest singer alive is a difficult task so I tried to finish this summary quickly iVgMe3n.gif.

P!nk Elementary Vocal Analysis

P!nk is a brilliant singer with a smoky (basically it means has a rasp to it and the voice is considered sexy; Justin Bieber-like tone) and a naturally dark color to her voice. Her vocal type is a Lyric Mezzo-Soprano, the second-highest female singing voice. Her low notes are supported and strong and carry a darker tone than the rest of her voice. When it comes to breathing, P!nk may be only rivaled with very few singers as her breath support is monstrous. P!nk is capable of performing very fast vocal acrobatics (riffs/runs/melismata -- please refer to this post for an explanation of melisma and riffs and runs) as her voice carries a great agility to it; this simply means her jaw muscles are elastic and free and her superior breath support aids in her agility.

P!nk is able to mix her chest voice (talking voice) and head voice (please refer to the bottom of the post for an explanation of head voice) way above her tessitura (the part of the voice in which a singer is most comfortable to sing in AND the part their voice shines the most in) with great technique up to a G5 note. As a mezzo-soprano, she is expected to belt properly up to Eb5 (622.25 Hz), and what's amazing about P!nk's belting is that it's rare for sopranos to even support up to a G5 (783.99 Hz). The notes: Eb5 --> E5 --> F5 --> F#5 --> G5. She is quite capable of hitting an A5 (880.00 Hzbelt, (G5 --> G#5 --> A5) which is a remarkable feature for a mezzo-soprano.

Able to execute emotion through smart usage of her rasp (and without) including cracks without sacrificing a lot of technique in her singing. Overall, P!nk's voice is resonant and rich.

Unfortunately, P!nk's rasp has drawn criticism due to her songs and musical style feeling out of place when matched with her voice. Her falsetto (please refer to the bottom of the post for an explanation of falsetto) and head voice are underdeveloped, with the former being heavily underutilized and lacking proper technique.

*Head Voice: The part of your voice in which you achieve your high notes where you feel the sound is resonating in the back of your head; basically when you try to give a much more feminine and a higher tone to your voice if you're a female. If your're a guy, it's the same sensation in the back of your head but the difference would be your voice sounding lighter and more airy with a slight feminine twang to it (or it can be full rather than airy if you know how to control it.) Think of it as the part of your voice in which you achieve a controlled feminine scream that isn't painful nor shrill like usual yelling.

*Falsetto: A disconnected part of one's voice in which one uses to hit very high notes. It's the part of the man's voice that they use to sound feminine and squeaky. It's basically the part of your voice that sounds different from your usual singing voice and has a squeaky and piercing attribute to it. in simpler words, it's when you're making a really high-pitched sound that usually hurts your throat for a few moments. It is different from the head voice by carrying much more brightness and a louder volume to it due to its piercing quality.

That's it for P!nk's vocal analysis. I really love her as an artist and maybe someday she'll have as much number ones as me nHfG8HW.gif

This was SO good 

thank you very much and I agree with everything you said this was very informative