Sign in to follow this  

Dr. Martin Lurther King Jr.'s impact and legacy beyond "I Have a Dream" Happy 89TH Birthday.

71D563D2-7F69-4599-AD3E-5FA03EAF1180.thumb.jpeg.3605a6f07fc6e5023ce7644a9742209c.jpeg

Today we honor the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., & recognize his commitment to service. 

Dr. Martin Luther King was an American minister and activist who became the most visible voice and leader in the civil rights movement.

It took years to have this day celebrated as a national holiday to commemorate and honor him on his birthday fighting for and changing lives of millions of black Americans.

Here are so of most noticeable speeches...

"Our God is Marching On"

This speech from March 25, 1965, on the steps of the Alabama state capitol marked the end of the Selma to Montgomery march. 

"A Time to Break the Silence"

This speech from on April 4, 1967 at New York's Riverside Church was arguably his most controversial -- at least when it was first delivered.

Each year my family gather around in the living room and we listen to his speeches around breakfast time. And my all time favorite is "If you can't fly then run if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward."

And it's honestly heartbreaking to realize how far we've come listening to the stories. We've abolished slavery and now its time to end racism.

No matter what color we are we're all brothers and sisters and here for a purpose. That purpose isn't to discriminate and hold each other to higher standards or pedestals based on skin color.

One of the greatest things that's ever happened in my life was when I was lucky enough to visit Atlanta when I was 16 and I walked around the Martin Luther King Historic Site and the National Center for Civil and Human Rights. He was such an innovator in his forms of protest and although he's seen as a moderate today, he was radical but was killed before he had a chance to act on his more radical ideas. He truly is one of the greatest people to ever live.

On this day, a national holiday that was initially objected to by Ronald Reagan but later signed in 1983, a holiday that many white people saw as racist, a holiday that wasn't recognized in all 50 states until 2000, people should just remember one thing...

Black Lives Matter.