COP is back baby! Read more... ×
The BIGGEST COmPetition we've ever done! Read more... ×

LetKneeBe

Facebook Introduces "Messenger Kids."

For the first time, Facebook is opening up to children under age 13 with a privacy-focused app designed to neutralize child predator threats that plague youth-focused competitors like Snapchat. Rolling out today on iOS in the US, "Messenger Kids" lets parents download the app on their child's phone or tablet, create a profile for them, and approve friends and family who they can text and video chat with from the main Messenger app.

Tweens don't sign up for a Facebook account and don't need a phone number, but can communicate with other Messenger and Messenger Kids users parents sign-off on, so younger siblings don't get left out of the family group chat. "We've been working closely with the FTC so we're lockstep with them. 'This works', they said" Facebook product management director Loren Cheng tells me. "In other apps, they can contact anyone they want or be contacted by anyone" Facebook's head of Messenger David Marcus notes.

Special proactive detection safety filters prevent children from sharing nudity, sexual content, or violence, while a dedicated support team will respond quickly to reported or flagged content. Facebook even manually sifted Giphy to build a kid-friendly version of the GIF sharing engine. And with childish augmented reality masks and stickers, video calls with grandma could be a lot more fun and a lot less silent or awkward.

Full article: https://www.yahoo.com/news/facebook-messenger-kids-lets-under-130055791.html?.tsrc=fauxdal

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

Kids shouldn't have phones in the first place.

8oHwGHy.gif

I've actually done research on kids and technology for my English class, and found a significant study that kids these days have trouble addressing real-life conflict because they're so used to being able to just block conflict online. It's only gonna get worse.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, LetKneeBe said:

I've actually done research on kids and technology for my English class, and found a significant study that kids these days have trouble addressing real-life conflict because they're so used to being able to just block conflict online. It's only gonna get worse.

Might sound silly, but there really should be some type of law where kids can't have social media or smart phones until a certain age. The idea that elementary school aged kids have phones and are worried about all that stuff sounds terrible. They should be having fun outside. I'm sure a law wouldn't do much, but we really should take some kind of action before it gets worse and worse. The more technology we're getting the scarier it is seeming for the future generations 

• Upvote 1