COP is back baby! Read more... ×
The BIGGEST COmPetition we've ever done! Read more... ×

Barbie

Were our pop faves doomed simply because Electro-pop is no longer in style?

This has been a thought that I have had for at least all 2017 and I finally wanna come out and ask you guys if you agree.

I truly believe Gaga, Kesha, and Katy arent the IT girls right now because when The Fame, Animal, and One Of The Boys/Teenage Dream came out, that electronic poppy sound was what the majority of white female pop music sounded like. And with that sound pretty much gone, it has caused Gaga to find a new sound which was a country-ish vibe (not including The Cure) , Kesha to go more towards a rock route, and Katy towards a more synthy sound which imo sounds dated. Don't get me wrong I enjoy Joanne, Rainbow, and Witness (sorta) but I feel like the general public didn't eat them up like they would have in their glory days. And I know the real reasoning behind Kesha and Gaga was the Dr Luke thing and the hip thing for gaga but if you think about it alot of the actual music probably affected the stans as well. If electro pop was still BIG here I truly believe Gaga would still be KILLING it in her career same as Kesha and Katy. I mean foreign countries STILL use that electronic poppish sound and it sells well, like the turkish popstars. I have to give Britney credit because if pop stayed the same as it was in the 2010's Glory would probably be bigger than it was as well. Meanwhile we have Dua & Ariana who create great pop but it's still a whole other subgenre and more crafted to fit today's sound which is what brings me back to my main point:

With our pop girlies scattering to find a new sound, this leaves the new artists to shine by following what today's pop sounds like and it bores me. I hear songs like Issues and it just makes me miss those days, thank god we have those throwback albums to appreciate today :demilip:

• Upvote 3

The Fame, Teenage Dream, and Animals are walls that are hard for Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, or Kesha to overcome.

Lady Gaga's Joanne flopped because it was stripped back. She stopped the theatrics that differentiated herself from other pop girls, she catered to a different audience that doesn't care about her, and she forced the father's late sister thing too much that even her grandma was confused about it. I understand she doesn't want to do the theatrics and Artpop put her into a bad place personally, but she needs to find her new footing.

Witness flopped because Katy took a long hiatus and released a bad album. She's better off as a single artist than an album artist.

Kesha released a good album but her hiatus was too long.

• Upvote 7

7 minutes ago, snake said:

The Fame, Teenage Dream, and Animals are walls that are hard for Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, or Kesha to overcome.

Lady Gaga's Joanne flopped because it was stripped back. She stopped the theatrics that differentiated herself from other pop girls, she catered to a different audience that doesn't care about her, and she forced the father's late sister thing too much that even her grandma was confused about it. I understand she doesn't want to do the theatrics and Artpop put her into a bad place personally, but she needs to find her new footing.

Witness flopped because Katy took a long hiatus and released a bad album. She's better off as a single artist than an album artist.

Wow tea :orly:

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, snake said:

Wow that is truly the tea well done! :asmrchew5: We love a smart new member :wendy21:

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, snake said:

Third this omg Hot Tea deserves an award @Nicki Minaj we found good tea spreader ;)and factual :)lol

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, badgallaura said:

Well, Taylor is making electropop and synthpop with 1989 and Reputation, so at least it's working for her.

badgallaura

Poor the other girls. But yes I would say that's why they're doomed.

• Upvote 2

We're in a time where pop music isn't pop anymore. Popular music isn't the white females that we're used to; people woukd rather listen to R&B and rap. That's why artists like Migos, DJ Kahled, Post Malone, etc. are doing great on the Hot 100 and artists like Jay-Z, Kanye, Drake, and Kendrick Lamar are doing great on the BB200. Legends like Taylor Swift and Beyoncé will always find success somehow, and a few new artists like Halsey, Camila Cabello, and Julia Michaels will be kinda big for little bit, but it'll honestly only get worse for pop from here on out.

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, vendettaswift said:

We're in a time where pop music isn't pop anymore. Popular music isn't the white females that we're used to; people woukd rather listen to R&B and rap. That's why artists like Migos, DJ Kahled, Post Malone, etc. are doing great on the Hot 100 and artists like Jay-Z, Kanye, Drake, and Kendrick Lamar are doing great on the BB200. Legends like Taylor Swift and Beyoncé will always find success somehow, and a few new artists like Halsey, Camila Cabello, and Julia Michaels will be kinda big for little bit, but it'll honestly only get worse for pop from here on out.

And honestly I can't complain. R&B is my favorite genre :natalia:.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Destiny Hope said:

omg literally like please give me 90s/early 2000's pop back!

Do you listen to Rina Sawayama? Her EP is currently getting rave reviews for capturing that authentic throwback pop sound!

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, barbiej33p said:

Do you listen to Rina Sawayama? Her EP is currently getting rave reviews for capturing that authentic throwback pop sound!

I have not but you've convinced me!!! I'll check her out!

Spoiler

And don't judge me but Austin Mahone brought back that sound with his The Secret EP but then only did it for that :( I was sad he should have kept it up it was so good!

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Destiny Hope said:

I have not but you've convinced me!!! I'll check her out!

Reveal hidden contents

And don't judge me but Austin Mahone brought back that sound with his The Secret EP but then only did it for that :( I was sad he should have kept it up it was so good!

Oh my god her sound is so throwback!!!!! I'm loving it!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2