Jump to content

  • Announcements

    • laracroftonline

      How to add stan badges   10/21/2017

      To add stan badges go to create and click award, fill in your username and find the artist you want. Or go to http://churchofpop.net/awards
    • Ms. Knee

      Join the Role-Play!   11/06/2017

      The newly opened RP section is here! Go and create your character now and join a never-ending adventure with your fave pop girlies! http://churchofpop.net/forum/32-create-your-oc/
Sign in to follow this  
Nacht

The HuffPo condemns lack of empathy towards Taylor's trial and shades Demi for her silence. Thoughts?

Recommended Posts

The Huffington Post published an article regarding Taylor Swift's trial, you can find it HERE. I would like to open a dialogue about some of the most pressing issues discussed in it. It was underlined how Taylor's trial for sexual assault was met with complete silent by all of the people/feminists who got outraged for what Kesha had to go through. I quoted parts of the article regarding Taylor's treatment.

Quote

But there’s a ringing silence now. And it’s looming around Taylor Swift’s groping trial. A woman who is constantly attacked for being silent is now getting the worst of it.

Let’s just take Ke$ha’s trial, shall we? Tons of celebrities, journalists and everyone in between shouted their encouragement, their disgust at her alleged abuser. Adele used her acceptance speech at the 2016 Brit Awards to publicly express her support of Ke$ha. Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande, Snoop Dogg, Kelly Clarkson, Lorde and a clump of other pop stars (apologies to Snoop Dogg and his admirers for grouping him into a ‘pop stars’ category) used Twitter to do the same.

Where is everyone? Where are the mighty feminists I so admire, I so try to be? Suddenly they aren’t as loud.

Swift only countersued for $1. Before you open your mouth or press that little blue button in the corner to compose a Tweet, close it and take your hands off the keyboard. She’s not doing this for the money. Her mother wanted to keep it private until DJ Mueller sued. She’s doing this to show every other girl who watches her with adoring eyes and the ones who pretend they don’t that you can report your sexual assault. You can hold the person accountable. She’s showing men who mock her for her dating life but objectify her at the same time that they will not be tolerated. And it’s being met with silence. But we’ve known since the early days of 2010 that silence doesn’t follow Taylor Alison Swift for long, and it won’t now.

The article also throws consistent shade towards Demi Lovato, I quoted the parts regarding her.

Quote

And then, two days after a New York judge denied Ke$ha a court injunction, Taylor Swift donated $250,000 towards any of Ke$ha’s financial needs. Kind, right? Nope, no one seemed to think so. Internet users everywhere shamed Swift for her donation, including the “I-always-know-the-best-thing-to-say-on-the-Internet” Demi Lovato.

Lovato tweeted “Take something to Capitol Hill or actually speak out about something and then I’ll be impressed.” This attitude was reiterated widely across Twitter, because it’s Twitter. And also because Taylor Swift, no matter what on the Lord’s green Earth she does, cannot win. But that’s another story that would take pages and pages to tell, so I’ll refrain myself.

Demi, is your Internet down? Or are you in a plane on the way to Capitol Hill to discuss sexual assault and actually impress someone?

The conversion I'd like to start is simple. 

  • Why do you think that Taylor is not being given the same support shown to other sexual assault victims who speak out against their abusers?
  • Do you think that feminists like Demi Lovato shouldn't have stayed silent about this?
Spoiler

DISCLAIMER: I know there have been threads on the forum regarding Taylor Swift/Demi Lovato/Kesha's trial. This one only wants to report an article, its intention isn't to insult/shade anyone so don't feel offended, I didn't write the quoted parts which may or may not seem shady. Just want to open a conversation and make people think.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@HQzaynmalik made a similar thread already, but my thoughts are that she only used Kesha's trial to call out Taylor and made it less about the trial and more about her hatred for Tay. I think it's ok for a celebrity to stay silent on issues and I wish more would. Their jobs are to provide entertainment, not to get caught up in politics or other people's problems. At the same time I think Taylor doesn't want this to become bigger than it needs to be, she has plenty of celebrity friends who probably would have tweeted something, but she probably told them to keep quiet because she doesn't have a good track record with her friends speaking up for her.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bee said:

@HQzaynmalik made a similar thread already, but my thoughts are that she only used Kesha's trial to call out Taylor and made it less about the trial and more about her hatred for Tay. I think it's ok for a celebrity to stay silent on issues and I wish more would. Their jobs are to provide entertainment, not to get caught up in politics or other people's problems. At the same time I think Taylor doesn't want this to become bigger than it needs to be, she has plenty of celebrity friends who probably would have tweeted something, but she probably told them to keep quiet because she doesn't have a good track record with her friends speaking up for her.

Yes, I remember that thread, this one doesn't want to drag anyone tho and that's why we're not on the battleground. Also, I wanted to talk more generally about the reception of her trial. Nobody relevant seemed to show support. I agree on the fact that she's probably trying to keep it private, but anytime a person calls out her abuser is an important moment for any woman around the world. Many women don't press charges against their offenders because of the social stigma that comes with it, people will question them and accuse them of provoking the abuser. So when a person like Taylor, who is one of the most influential singers of this generation, speaks against her abuser that's a powerful moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. Taylor is always getting extravagant hatred to whatever she does. I only call her a snake because that's what she is, blaming Katy and playing the victim AND moving on from Calvin in less than 4 weeks; already falling in love. 

However, aside from all of the shady drama she created, artists shouldn't be held accountable for every time they're "silent." Taylor was always promoting feminism (although her history in that is shady) but it seems whatever she does, she can't please the public. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, badgallaura said:

I agree. Taylor is always getting extravagant hatred to whatever she does. I only call her a snake because that's what she is, blaming Katy and playing the victim AND moving on from Calvin in less than 4 weeks; already falling in love. 

However, aside from all of the shady drama she created, artists shouldn't be held accountable for every time they're "silent." Taylor was always promoting feminism (although her history in that is shady) but it seems whatever she does, she can't please the public. 

BTW, Lady Gaga and Beyoncé didn't go either to the Women's March but nobody seemed to care. Taylor was the only one that got dragged for not attending. That pissed me!

:kimcry:

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nacht said:

BTW, Lady Gaga and Beyoncé didn't go either to the Women's March but nobody seemed to care. Taylor was the only one that got dragged for not attending. That pissed me!

:kimcry:

Thats really stupid to throw hate at Taylor :(

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, life13swift said:

Thats really stupid to throw hate at Taylor :(

I know! But it seems a common trend to hate Taylor on Twitter. They are pressed because she always stays winning.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main difference here is that Taylor didn't seem to do anything until the DJ sued her, then she counter-sued for $1. It's respectable that she doesn't care about the money, because truly that's not what is important.

To play a little bit of devil's advocate, she didn't speak up about this sexual assault incident until the DJ came after her. That's what some people aren't appreciative of, she never came forward and reported it herself directly after it's occurrence.

Yes, she won her case, which is amazing and a step in the right direction, but it doesn't make it any easier for women to step forward to make their own reports.

I don't want to compare types of sexual assault as it will seem degrading and insensitive, as no type of sexual assault/harassment is okay, whether it's receiving an unsolicited dick picture, being touched inappropriately or being raped. However, Kesha went out of her comfort zone to not only go against Dr. Luke, but the music industry too. She literally put her career on hold and almost lost everything and still didn't get the justice she deserved.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, justcatchmedemi said:

The main difference here is that Taylor didn't seem to do anything until the DJ sued her, then she counter-sued for $1. It's respectable that she doesn't care about the money, because truly that's not what is important.

To play a little bit of devil's advocate, she didn't speak up about this sexual assault incident until the DJ came after her. That's what some people aren't appreciative of, she never came forward and reported it herself directly after it's occurrence.

Yes, she won her case, which is amazing and a step in the right direction, but it doesn't make it any easier for women to step forward to make their own reports.

I don't want to compare types of sexual assault as it will seem degrading and insensitive, as no type of sexual assault/harassment is okay, whether it's receiving an unsolicited dick picture, being touched inappropriately or being raped. However, Kesha went out of her comfort zone to not only go against Dr. Luke, but the music industry too. She literally put her career on hold and almost lost everything and still didn't get the justice she deserved.

Well said :clap:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, badgallaura said:

AND moving on from Calvin in less than 4 weeks; already falling in love. 

 

Calvin did the exact same thing, he was seen with multiple different models after their breakup, but you only bring up Taylor because? Also, her relationship with Tom Hiddleston was clearly fake and for pr.

97f1b69f38c0cfb7f65612e761296b1c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, justcatchmedemi said:

To play a little bit of devil's advocate, she didn't speak up about this sexual assault incident until the DJ came after her. That's what some people aren't appreciative of, she never came forward and reported it herself directly after it's occurrence.

1

I understand you're playing devil's advocate, but many people are scared after getting sexually assaulted, even huge pop stars like Taylor. If she brought it up earlier in her career when that happened she would have a negative connotation associated with her name as the woman who was sexually assaulted, not to mention that she'd be sued for slander and since there's no definitive proof that she was assaulted, she could have lost the case and it could have affected her career badly. She dealt with it in her own way by getting him out of a position that would allow him to threaten people below him and tarnished his name. aka the example you gave below

52 minutes ago, justcatchmedemi said:

Kesha went out of her comfort zone to not only go against Dr. Luke, but the music industry too. She literally put her career on hold and almost lost everything and still didn't get the justice she deserved.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the problem with demi is that she talks too much. WAY too much. that's why she stopped and barely talks about anything lately, and its great i think. whether she talks about taylor's trial or not, she will get dragged anyways, and thats sad. i think we should just all unite and defend women's rights, and i'm not talking about stans, but also about celebs which shouldn't fight against each other.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bee said:

I understand you're playing devil's advocate, but many people are scared after getting sexually assaulted, even huge pop stars like Taylor. If she brought it up earlier in her career when that happened she would have a negative connotation associated with her name as the woman who was sexually assaulted, not to mention that she'd be sued for slander and since there's no definitive proof that she was assaulted, she could have lost the case and it could have affected her career badly. She dealt with it in her own way by getting him out of a position that would allow him to threaten people below him and tarnished his name. aka the example you gave below

 

I've been reading a lot of articles, discussing both sides and many see this case of him having all the power. One of the reasons why they recommend survivors report is so they can reclaim themselves and their power after being in a powerless situation. I know women are scared because of the possible consequences and they constantly get victim blamed which is unexcusable and unacceptable, but I think it can also be very empowering to hold your  abuser accountable even if the courts don't see it. It goes in the public record.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, justcatchmedemi said:

 

 

It's true it would have been better if she reported it to the courts when it happened, but there were probably multiple reasons why she chose not to. Also just letting you know I don't think it's wrong that Demi didn't tweet support. I've noticed she's been trying to be better this era and, who knows, maybe they called each other like she did with Baldsey.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Demi is quick to start shit with any female artist that's MILES above her but will be on mute when they what Demi wanted them to do.

Demi is a bipolar fake SJW, she hated on TayLORD because it was trendy for her & she thought she'd be cool but she came out as the joke.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bee said:

It's true it would have been better if she reported it to the courts when it happened, but there were probably multiple reasons why she chose not to. Also just letting you know I don't think it's wrong that Demi didn't tweet support. I've noticed she's been trying to be better this era and, who knows, maybe they called each other like she did with Baldsey.

I'm not blaming Taylor at all, I want to be clear - just stating what I've read. Demi can definitely be messy, I know that for sure so I don't blame her for being quiet now. Everything she says is problematic to someone else so she's attempting to keep her mouth shut rn at least (we'll see if it lasts). I think a lot of the time these stunts are done as publicity stunts (not Demi/Taylor though).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bee said:

Calvin did the exact same thing, he was seen with multiple different models after their breakup, but you only bring up Taylor because? Also, her relationship with Tom Hiddleston was clearly fake and for pr.

97f1b69f38c0cfb7f65612e761296b1c

I don't care if he did the same or not. It's still improper to him; even if they both did it for publicity it's improper. I don't know when Calvin did it, but if I remember correctly, he didn't just move on right away. Even if he did this post is about Taylor and not about Calvin so why would I mention him. Plus I wasn't coming for Taylor, I was stating why I don't like her persona. If you further read my post I was even defending her, I wasn't bringing up the past lol. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, badgallaura said:

I don't care if he did the same or not. It's still improper to him; even if they both did it for publicity it's improper. I don't know when Calvin did it, but if I remember correctly, he didn't just move on right away. Even if he did this post is about Taylor and not about Calvin so why would I mention him. Plus I wasn't coming for Taylor, I was stating why I don't like her persona. If you further read my post I was even defending her, I wasn't bringing up the past lol. 

I brought it up because you used it as a reason to not like her. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I don't see anything wrong with moving on with your ex. If it's a day, sure, something seems sketchy and maybe one of them cheated, but 4 weeks is a month, that's a lot of time. I just don't see why her dating history should have anything to do with you or anyone not liking her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bee said:

I brought it up because you used it as a reason to not like her. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I don't see anything wrong with moving on with your ex. If it's a day, sure, something seems sketchy and maybe one of them cheated, but 4 weeks is a month, that's a lot of time. I just don't see why her dating history should have anything to do with you or anyone not liking her. 

I'm not using it as a reason, it is a reason. She stayed with him for over a year and a half and in 3 weeks boom she was kissing someone else. That's inappropriate no matter where you are. It shouldn't really matter to anyone why I dislike Taylor, tbh, as long as I'm not walking around willy nilly spreading hate towards her. I was simply mentioning despite why I can understand the hatred towards her as I have some too, it doesn't mean she deserves to be yelled at everyday.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, badgallaura said:

I'm not using it as a reason, it is a reason. She stayed with him for over a year and a half and in 3 weeks boom she was kissing someone else. That's inappropriate no matter where you are. It shouldn't really matter to anyone why I dislike Taylor, tbh, as long as I'm not walking around willy nilly spreading hate towards her. I was simply mentioning despite why I can understand the hatred towards her as I have some too, it doesn't mean she deserves to be yelled at everyday.

You don't know anything about their relationship though. Taylor is the only one who should care about who she's kissing. She could kiss every man in Hollywood, because she's not in a relationship with him anymore and you don't have to appease your ex. If that's how you view relationships, I'm not judging, but everyone has different ways of dating and dealing with breakups and it seems so close minded to have her dating mannerisms be a reason why you dislike her. You could dislike her for her personality, or her music and I'd understand, but her dating habits? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, badgallaura said:

I'm not using it as a reason, it is a reason. She stayed with him for over a year and a half and in 3 weeks boom she was kissing someone else. That's inappropriate no matter where you are. It shouldn't really matter to anyone why I dislike Taylor, tbh, as long as I'm not walking around willy nilly spreading hate towards her. I was simply mentioning despite why I can understand the hatred towards her as I have some too, it doesn't mean she deserves to be yelled at everyday.

The term rebound exists for a reason. You could literally sleep with someone the day after you end your relationship and that's completely acceptable. Your now "ex" doesn't own you and you don't owe them anything. You owe yourself happiness no matter how you choose to express it. An ended relationship is an ended relationship and if she wants to kiss someone it's well in her right.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bee said:

You don't know anything about their relationship though. Taylor is the only one who should care about who she's kissing. She could kiss every man in Hollywood, because she's not in a relationship with him anymore and you don't have to appease your ex. If that's how you view relationships, I'm not judging, but everyone has different ways of dating and dealing with breakups and it seems so close minded to have her dating mannerisms be a reason why you dislike her. You could dislike her for her personality, or her music and I'd understand, but her dating habits? 

Sis pls. I'm not even attacking Taylor so why would you care lol. 

If she was in an EXTREMELY HORRIBLE RELATIONSHIP WHERE SHE HATED CALVIN, then ok, let her kiss whoever she wants after 3 weeks. But naturally, I wouldn't assume it went worse case scenario. 

Just now, justcatchmedemi said:

The term rebound exists for a reason. You could literally sleep with someone the day after you end your relationship and that's completely acceptable. Your now "ex" doesn't own you and you don't owe them anything. You owe yourself happiness no matter how you choose to express it. An ended relationship is an ended relationship and if she wants to kiss someone it's well in her right.

Sis that's what I'm trying to say kind of lol. I dislike her for simply moving in in such a short period of time but who am I to stop in her way.

Like, if I don't like her for that, it doesn't mean I'm going around saying TAYLOR IS A SLUT, no, it just means I don't appreciate people moving on from their loved ones in 21 days. 

@bee so pls bih, this whole thing shouldn't even be an argument. I just don't like how she seemed to move on super quickly and kissed someone else in a short period of time. Like I said, I'm not harming Taylor, I'm having my own perspective on her, and as long as it's not hurting your fave... let's not argue about it? Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, badgallaura said:

Sis pls. I'm not even attacking Taylor so why would you care lol. 

If she was in an EXTREMELY HORRIBLE RELATIONSHIP WHERE SHE HATED CALVIN, then ok, let her kiss whoever she wants after 3 weeks. But naturally, I wouldn't assume it went worse case scenario. 

Sis that's what I'm trying to say kind of lol. I dislike her for simply moving in in such a short period of time but who am I to stop in her way.

Like, if I don't like her for that, it doesn't mean I'm going around saying TAYLOR IS A SLUT, no, it just means I don't appreciate people moving on from their loved ones in 21 days. 

@bee so pls bih, this whole thing shouldn't even be an argument. I just don't like how she seemed to move on super quickly and kissed someone else in a short period of time. Like I said, I'm not harming Taylor, I'm having my own perspective on her, and as long as it's not hurting your fave... let's not argue about it? Lol

You're literally getting upset over a kiss. They mean nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×